lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Excess Voltage - Stereo shuts down, Regulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
What is this?
In your ebay listing you said an installer cut the cable, the guy is not an installer obviously or he would know better. He is a hack and should pay for the damage.

I would think about complaining to Yamaha if a dealer can't figure that out. All they had to do is swap the VR and see what it did with a $10 DMM on the battery, duh.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
AZRider
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

SOLVED:

It's been verified by the dealer that many of the new Drive golf carts will sometimes produce over 16volts. They have talked with Yamaha and there is no issue with batteries or any of their accessories running on this voltage - unless your aftermarket item and it has limitations (like our stereo).

The dealer has tried changing voltage regulators to lower the voltage to the 14.5-15.5 range, even on new carts. This is a hit and miss. Sometimes new regulators will make a difference, most times they do not. You might have a cart that never gets over 16v so no problem.

The best suggestion for accessories that need a constant 12v (2008 & newer) is to add a DC step down regulator/converter. These are about $40 depending on the amperage you need. Tobsun Electronics carries a variety, not all are listed on their website, many are on ebay. http://www.tobsun.com/Eproductshow.asp?id=567

Otherwise, you could buy and install a very expensive new voltage regulator and have absolutely no difference.

Thanks for the help everyone.
AZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
AZRider
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

STEREO IS SOLD: Thanks MIKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
In your ebay listing you said an installer cut the cable, the guy is not an installer obviously or he would know better. He is a hack and should pay for the damage.

I would think about complaining to Yamaha if a dealer can't figure that out. All they had to do is swap the VR and see what it did with a $10 DMM on the battery, duh.
You are correct, installer was a hack, seen it many times before, no attention to detail. I fired him after the first 30 mins. I did the entire install myself after cleaning up his mess. After all, I did stereo installs as a kid in the 70's. I still have to much faith in people I guess.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
AZRider
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi All,

In my case, the cart's voltage regulator was putting out 16.6v at times. This would cause the stereo to shut down. I needed to drop the voltage to the stereo with a device that didn't run all the time and draw power from the battery.

$8.59 total parts cost.

Just install the following parts from Radio Shack:
1 - 20 Amp Bridge Rectifier
1 - Small aluminum heat sink
1 - Small component box - aluminum lid

Just put this inline on the stereo power wire. It drops the voltage 1.7 volts. Inside the box, connect to both positive terminals on the rectifier which are diagonal from each other. Power to the stereo (output) goes on the side with AC logo/tab. Make sure to sand the bottom of the heat sink so it's flat and makes good contact with the box lid. They do generate heat depending on how much juice is flowing to the stereo or accessory. Using the heat sink and aluminum lid box will insure heat never is a problem. I used industrial velcro to fasten the box.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Toaster64
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
Hi All,

In my case, the cart's voltage regulator was putting out 16.6v at times. This would cause the stereo to shut down. I needed to drop the voltage to the stereo with a device that didn't run all the time and draw power from the battery.

$8.59 total parts cost.

Just install the following parts from Radio Shack:
1 - 20 Amp Bridge Rectifier
1 - Small aluminum heat sink
1 - Small component box - aluminum lid

Just put this inline on the stereo power wire. It drops the voltage 1.7 volts. Inside the box, connect to both positive terminals on the rectifier which are diagonal from each other. Power to the stereo (output) goes on the side with AC logo/tab. Make sure to sand the bottom of the heat sink so it's flat and makes good contact with the box lid. They do generate heat depending on how much juice is flowing to the stereo or accessory. Using the heat sink and aluminum lid box will insure heat never is a problem. I used industrial velcro to fasten the box.

Can anyone tell me what part numbers to use at RadioShack for these? It seems there are a million bridge rectifiers... I need one that can support 20-30 amps and drop the voltage about 1 - 2 volts.

Thanks,
Toaster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha