lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
karnak
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Piston size G-1

Just picked up a used cart with no compression. Torn down the engine, the rings are so worn they fall through the cylinder. I ran the numbers and it appears to be a 1988 G-1 Gas. I measured the piston, it measures 2.675. Don't know if this is standard or over sized. Any info would be appreciated.

Read many posts, looks like a great forum.

Thanks
karnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Piston size G-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnak View Post
Just picked up a used cart with no compression. Torn down the engine, the rings are so worn they fall through the cylinder. I ran the numbers and it appears to be a 1988 G-1 Gas. I measured the piston, it measures 2.675. Don't know if this is standard or over sized. Any info would be appreciated.

Read many posts, looks like a great forum.

Thanks
Manual say's, stock is 2.677 (68mm). I would be worried about the cylinder taper though. Does the piston skirt look scored and dark in color?, could be a sign the oil pump failed. You can yave the cylinder bored to an oversized piston ring set, but don't forget to change the crank seals also. Good luck and welcome to BGW
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I would recommend a new jug. I recently rebuilt mine and the cost of machining vs new was not that outrageous when I factored in two trips to the machine shop, magnaflux, rebore, hone, and a five day wait.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
karnak
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the quick replies, with a close examination, it appears the oil pump was disconnected. I assume the previous owner was running a oil gas mixture. I may just experiment with the cylinder since I have my own machine shop and the necessary equipment to bore the cylinder. I will have to purchase an over size piston after the boring. I will start with the minimum which is .25 MM approximately 10/100, and see if the bore cleans up at that amount.

Smallblocker450sl: Do you have the specs for the piston to cylinder clearance.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

minimum-0.035 mm (0.0014 in) ,max-0.050 mm (0.0020 in)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
karnak
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the info. Let you know how everything goes. I am in no rush, since winter is coming.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha