lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Proper driven clutch operation on hill- exactly how does your cart climb hills?

I have a 1990 marathon with 3 pg 2 cycle engine and functioning governor.

I have been considering buying a "power spring" for my driven clutch. When I go from full speed flat ground to a slight to moderate uphill grade, the engine slows down to about 60-70% of max rpms and the ground speed slows down to 1/4th of what it was (the driven clutch does close up somewhat). It seems like the engine should still stay at max rpms and only the ground speed should decrease.

So, here's my question- when you begin to climb a long moderate hill with the gas pedal all the way to the floor (about 4000rpms), does your engine slow down considerably as the hill gets steeper? Or do the engine rpms stay really high- just like when you started up the hill?

I realize that the ground speed will decrease as you climb the hill- I am more interested in what happens to your engine speed as you climb the hill.

By "moderate hill", I am referring to a hill like you could drive up with a car- something like a long steep driveway or a long steep street.

Your info will help me to decide if my cart will benefit from a power spring or if it is behaving as it should.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Proper driven clutch operation on hill- exactly how does your cart climb hills?

I have a 2PG with a rebuilt engine, new pump, carburetor, two new clutches and 22 inch tires.

As a result of the tires over gearing the transmission I max out on the level at 4000 +/- 500 rpm and about 22mph. When I hit a moderate or steep slope the engine revs tend to fall a bit to say the high 3000's but the speed falls more dramatically depending on the severity of the slope.

This is the design function of the continuously variable transmission that under all loads the engine should be running at its sweet spot and producing peak output. If you were to imagine the transmission without the belt you now have the two clutches working independently. The diameter of the drive clutch is controlled by the engine speed but the diameter of the driven clutch is controlled by the speed of the cart. It is now possible to imagine a scenario where the cart is traveling down a 45 degree slope at 25 mph, your foot is off the gas so the engine is stalled and both clutches are opened wide. Now connect the belt and reverse the journey. You floor the pedal and the engine should rev up to peak power (the CVT principle) however the cart will only move at, say, 2mph so the driven clutch is also open wide. This gives both clutches at maximum diameter to enable the cart to climb the hill. This seems to me to be a big argument against using a shorter belt that fits when the cart and engine are stopped but must be straining the clutch bearings and engine mounts when chugging up a hill.

That was a long winded way to say that your cart should maintain engine speed and I would guess that your driven spring is worn and allowing the clutch to open too quickly and stay open too wide at lower speeds.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Proper driven clutch operation on hill- exactly how does your cart climb hills?

If you have the right spring in the clutch and both are working the way they should your RPM's should stay the same but you will be slowing down (mph ).
On my cart no matter how steep the hill or how many people I have on the cart my rpm's stay at 3500 even though my speed drops down to 8 mph. I hope the helps.
This is my findings on my cart!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys- I just wanted to confirm that my engine rpms were definitely dropping off more than they should.

I either need to figure out which direction to clock my driven clutch spring (I have adjusted the position once but I can't tell that it made any difference) or maybe I'll just order a new "power" type spring.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
dan161
Getting Wild

Hey Kyerik, I'm not sure if you have figured this out yet or not but I have a 90 marathon with the exact same setup as you have. I was having the same issues with dropping rpms as well as speed so I did order the high torque spring for the driven clutch and it made a huge difference. I still drop the speed considerably, but my rpms stay up there pretty good. And I do have the 22in tires on my cart also. I for one think it was well worth the $60 for the spring and took me less then half hour to change it and I have never had a clutch off a golf cart before. Just my 2 cents in case your still wondering about it. Good Luck.
dan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
Thanks guys- I just wanted to confirm that my engine rpms were definitely dropping off more than they should.

I either need to figure out which direction to clock my driven clutch spring (I have adjusted the position once but I can't tell that it made any difference) or maybe I'll just order a new "power" type spring.
driven meaning the one on the axle? or the drive that is on the motor?
Clocking the spring between the holes on the drive (motor clutch) you only get very minimal amounts of response differience. changing the spring in the driven (axle clutch) when hitting the hill and the axle speed slows down it will close or (shift) alot better allowing the belt to ride higher in the groove giving you more torgue to climb the steeper grade. I personally would look online and find a "Erlandson" spring setup for either clutch. they are very resonably priced and very affective. Glenn Erlandson was a lead designer in Comet clutchs and still does alot of performance clutch application for alot of different things. just my .02
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO