lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question about replacing rings in my G1

I just got back from they cycle shop. The good news is that my jug can be bored. I will need to go a full 1mm oversize on the piston (~ $50) and it is $60 bucks to get the cylinder bored.

I got to talking with the owner about the chips off of the piston skirt. He said I needed to open up the crankcase and see if I can find them or I am going to have some serious problems if they get into the main bearings.
I said that I just needed to find an 18HP Vanguard to slam in my cart. He just smiled and said "That would be a good idea buddy."

So once I get my bottom lip up off the ground, I guess I need to decide if I want to keep investing in a 30 year old engine, or if I need to "go big block". I don't even know what is required to put a modern 4 stroke in to my cart. I have some serious research to do.

Should I just keep the old Yamaha engine running, or will it really be a money pit putting a different engine into the old G1?
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
lakehopper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It will cost 1000 bucks and more to put a motor in it like that ,you have to get a rearend that has reverse in it . you can rebuild you motor from top to bottom for under 500 bucks and have just as much fun with it . If you want to go with the other motor I think your better off getting a newer cart
lakehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Lakehopper. I am going to drive on with my original motor, and get my new piston / rings ordered this afternoon.

Everything looks better in the light of a new day. I just need to get that crankcase out and get it open to see if I can find those chips from the piston skirt.

I have never had to crack a crankcase open before. Will I ruin my newly installed drive shaft seals when I split the crank case open, or will I be able to carefully slide it all back together?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Tips or Tricks for Crankcase Assembly / Disassembly?

Well, I have been doing some reading and it looks like I can get the crankcase apart with a regular puller as long as my bolts are long enough.

Are there any witness or alignment marks I need to make OR is there anything I need to "put back on exactly as I took off"? I am not disassembling the crankshaft assembly.

I am going to replace my crankshaft bearings while I have it apart. Should I grease the bearings or just lube them up with two cycle oil?

Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #25
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Pull the motor and flush the bottom end with premix fuel and turn it upside down to dump and rotate the crank while flushing and upside down. Also blow it out with air. Repeat a few times checking closely to see what comes out each time. When it's clean pour a quarter cup of straight premix oil in the cylinder and tilt to each side to soak the bearings. You should be able to get it clean with out splitting the cases. FYI Plowmans sells a top end kit with piston, pin, clips, rings and a new stock cylinder for $200. A little more than boring the old but it's all new, if you do that request a new needle bearing it doesn't come with the kit. I always break in with conventional oil
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #26
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a whole new attitude today about working on my cart! Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a good plan to flush out my crankcase. I am going to do that this weekend in my garage of "repair & despair".

I figured it up and I will be getting close to the $200 mark by the time I get the piston/rings, gaskets, labor for boring, time and gas to drive over to the cycle shop, etc... Plus a couple of the bolt bosses on the original cylinder are a little wonky. A new jug would be really nice. So I put in a call to Plowmans to see what they can do for me. Don is supposed to call me back.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #27
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85.G3 View Post
Pull the motor and flush the bottom end with premix fuel and turn it upside down to dump and rotate the crank while flushing and upside down. Also blow it out with air. Repeat a few times checking closely to see what comes out each time. When it's clean pour a quarter cup of straight premix oil in the cylinder and tilt to each side to soak the bearings. You should be able to get it clean with out splitting the cases. FYI Plowmans sells a top end kit with piston, pin, clips, rings and a new stock cylinder for $200. A little more than boring the old but it's all new, if you do that request a new needle bearing it doesn't come with the kit. I always break in with conventional oil
Well, I finally got around to doing this. It worked great. There were some small chunky bits, but I kept rinsing until the fuel came out clean. I have my new freshly bored jug with new piston installed. Once I finish lifting my cart, I will reinstall the engine. I should be rolling again soon!

Po Boy Lift thread coming soon!

Thanks for all the great advice BGW!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha