lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Click only when gas pedal is pushed

My armature or what ever its called where the brushes run on it has a groove warn in it as wide as the brushes are. My question is can that be put in a lathe and turned down smooth and new brushes installed. Probably don't need but a 1/16 th to make it smooth again.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCH View Post
My armature or what ever its called where the brushes run on it has a groove warn in it as wide as the brushes are. My question is can that be put in a lathe and turned down smooth and new brushes installed. Probably don't need but a 1/16 th to make it smooth again.
Not alot of "meat" on the comutator's on the Hatachi starter/generators. Alittle "groove' i'm not so woried about (usually use emery cloth to clean them up), but if there are any "arced" spots on the "segments"...a brush will find it and arc out even more trying to turn over that 170 lbs compression I say give the lathe a try, but take off as little as possible and then "back cut" the segmants. Good luck Lurch
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks buddy I won't be out anything if it don't work. I wouldn't want to put it back together like it is so if this don't work I'll need to buy one anyway.
Is this a normal amount of time for these to last 1 1/2 to 2 years?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Thanks buddy I won't be out anything if it don't work. I wouldn't want to put it back together like it is so if this don't work I'll need to buy one anyway.
Is this a normal amount of time for these to last 1 1/2 to 2 years?
More like forever, if the brushes are changed before comutator damage acures.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks I'll give it a try!!!!! I think mine was already like that as I bought it as being rebuilt because the brushes out of mine were no were close to the marks on them to show when to change them. I mean like half way.
I found the brushes local so I should know Thur. if its going to work.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I got the armature turned down smooth just used a file with it chucked up in a lathe. The new brushes were like 1/2 inch longer than the old ones so they were wore a little more than I thought. Hope to have it going by the first of the week and will let you guys know. Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
I got the armature turned down smooth just used a file with it chucked up in a lathe. The new brushes were like 1/2 inch longer than the old ones so they were wore a little more than I thought. Hope to have it going by the first of the week and will let you guys know. Thanks for your help!!!!!
Cool! Any "arc'd marks inbetween the comutator segments?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

No marks at all and it cleaned up good. Hope it all works well when it goes back together.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The starter is back together and on, it works great no issues at all. The bearings were good so I now have a rebuilt starter/Gen. for a whole $30.00.
While I had it down I replaced the L/rear hub, bearing and seal. Cleaned and checked all electrical connections, done a complete alinement caster, camber and toe. Changed the oil and checked all of that stuff, rotated tires and cleaned the undercarriage.
I plan on driving the wheels off of this thing the next couple of months. 2 days for the Mopar show at Bristol, 4 days at the Grand Rod Run in Pigeon Forge Tn. and 3 days for the Super Chevy Show at Bristol, plus I hope the rain is going to slow down some so I can use it every day again. Thanks for all the help again guys.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha