lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G9 Clutch

Started hearing that ting-ting-ting like somebody shooting BB's inside the clutch. The cover has several dents that look like they were made from the inside. Got to dark tonight to pull the cover but, I've got a feeling the weights
will need replacing so, I've got two questions. 1. do you have to order a bolt puller or does somebody like autozone have a puller that would work & 2. has anybody ever sent a G9 to Plowmans for a rebuild? I noticed on the website they say G16-G22 nothing about the G9. I'll be calling them Monday, just curious
if anybody on here has had a clutch rebuilt by Plowmans.
whiteriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 Clutch

The outer sheave with the weights in it should just pop right off, should only need the puller for the inner sheave. As for Plowmans, I haven't had anything rebuilt by him but know of a few people who have. I do know he knows his stuff so it would at least be worth the call.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks "H",
Maybe I'll get lucky and only have to replace the weights. Will know tomorrow when I take the cap off but, I've rebuilt/replaced just about everything on this loser so it wouldn't surprise me if I have to overhaul the whole clutch. I'm gonna stock up on some PB Blaster first.
Thanks
JP
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble with your G9, mine's been very dependable with only minor repairs and she goes just about anywhere.

If you get tired of working on her you can always drop it off at my place, I wouldn't mind having another one.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If you weren't so far away I'd give it serious consideration. I used to live in Michigan, in the south near Adrian. If I can't get this G9 figured out it's going in the lake! Think I know what may have boogered up the clutch. Been having to hold the accelerator down for quite awhile until the cart fires up, then it spins the hell out of the clutch so, if the clutch had a weak spot it may explain a broken weight or whatever it is. I'm baffled, new coil and fuel pump, new gas and pulsar line, drained the tank put in a new filter cap down there still the same problem. Now I'm thinking maybe ignition switch? When she won't start right up I get an intermittent spark. I may start drinking again.
Thanks "H"
JP
Old 08-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The weights just plain wear out. They last for decades then let go. Have a plastic bushing in there and once it goes the metal starts to chew out. They are not cheap but not terrible. Check the sheave they wear and eventually wear holes through. At that point weights and sheave are as much as a new aftermarket clutch. The iron inner sheave does not wear. You take cover off and big bolt out center the whole outer clutch will fall off. You have to heat the set screws up to get them out they are supposed to be blue loctited and not that tight....to get the pins out and replace the weights/links. You need 3 for all of them, and they are on ebay CPP, dealers, etc. I needed two and bought some used that were nice, my sheave is thin anyway and plan to get an aftermarket clutch.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Took the cap off and here's what I found. One of the weights broke where the pin goes through. For any of you clutch experts I'm thinking of replacing all 3 weights just don't know enough about the clutch on these carts to determine what else needs to be replaced now? Also, how much damage will I do if I continue to drive the cart slowly until I get the parts?
Appreciate any comments.
Thanks
JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c1.jpg (129.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg c2.jpg (152.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg c3.jpg (186.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sho,
I posted the pics before I saw your post, it almost sounds like it would be a whole lot easier to get the aftermarket outer clutch and bolt it on! Do you who would have the whole assy.?
Thanks
JP
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You get the whole clutch, they are around $300. You have to get a bolt puller, a long bolt that goes inside to the crank and pushes the whole clutch off, stick the new one on. Putting weights in is a little tedious but not that hard. Take a propane torch and heat the set screw area until the plastic washer starts to melt on the edge, that is about right maybe 5-8 seconds or something. Should come right out with a good fitting allen wrench. Have to take all the pins out, put them in with new weight assemblies, blue loctite on the set screws, then it will be good for a long time. Or have someone else do it.

Doubt it would hurt it to run for a little while, have seen people do it. It will not shift right, I would recommend you don't rev it up much and make sure that cover is on. I would not recommend it, just saying nothing seems to happen if done the cart just performs poorly.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
whiteriver23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks sho,
With your expert advise I don't see how I can mess this up! Saw a repair kit on ebay for $117, that's the way I'm going. Did take the cart on the course this evening, never punched it hard just enough gas to keep it moving-no apparent problem.
Thanks
JP
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha