lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
bogeyman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default yamaha g9 smoking

hello. i have a g9 that was smoking real bad ,tore down the engine and found that the top ring end gap was .034 th,.and the second was .022 th, the bore reads 2.89 on measurement. can any one tell me what the ring reject end gap is. and is there a trick to putting new ramp slides in the driven clutch.
bogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: yamaha g9 smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
hello. i have a g9 that was smoking real bad ,tore down the engine and found that the top ring end gap was .034 th,.and the second was .022 th, the bore reads 2.89 on measurement. can any one tell me what the ring reject end gap is. and is there a trick to putting new ramp slides in the driven clutch.
Top ring (std-0.008-0.016 in/ limit 0.04 in). Second ring the same. Bore-2.874-2.875 in, limit 2.876 in. Spec's say..bore and .25 over piston and rings. On your secondary question, Late model G9's came with the newer style "beefier" spring seat/helix that has ramp shoes that have screws that hold them in. If you have the older style, probably a good idea to upgrade the spring seat and maybe the sliding sheave (if your's doesn't have a zerk fitting for greasing).
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
bogeyman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

thanks for the reply. my secondary clutch has the zerk fitting. but the nylon slides just seem to push in . but iam not sure. the old ones just pulled out.they have a stem about half inch long
Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
thanks for the reply. my secondary clutch has the zerk fitting. but the nylon slides just seem to push in . but iam not sure. the old ones just pulled out.they have a stem about half inch long
Yes that is the old style spring seat. Do a search for part # jn6-g6280-00-00 for a picture and price, they are much stronger.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You just get the old plastic out of there and stick the new ones in, but they usually don't go in that easily so they don't slide out. The spring is against them anyway. I put them in mine a couple times. If you are crafty you can get them in without taking the clutch apart. I just bought a brand new cut movable sheave and said screw it and put a new sprig seat in and a new umax spring. The new seat is much nicer, the shoes are much larger. Figured it would be nicer on the new ramps.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
bogeyman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

ok thanks so much. got them in ok. dipped the end of them in a little lube and they pushed right in with a light tap. dont know what i would do with out the experence thats on this site. thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha