lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Tacosquisher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36v txt speed boost

This topic may be redundant but I keep seeing mixed answers and I'm having trouble deciding what I should do to speed up my cart.

It's a 2002 TXT 36v and I bought it less than a month ago and since then I've installed a light kit (led turn signal, brake lights, head light) and a rear seat which I'm sure weighs almost as much as if I was carrying another human in board.

Anyway, this thing is super slow. I live in a flat Texas suburb so me and the family would just ride around town to local pool or city events etc but this thing is so slow I can run faster than it.

From what I think I've learned from reading other posts is first to get a new controller and solenoid and possibly new battery wires?

So the question is...how much of a difference would a new controller really make and where would be the best place to find one?

Thank you in advance,
Tacosquisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v txt speed boost

Assuming series drive because most Ezgo SLOW cart complaints are about 36v series drive...go here https://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
to read what I've written about upgrading these carts, what to expect from controller upgrades, why F&R and cable upgrades are needed, and why 48 volt conversion is the best solution for these carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
Tacosquisher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow that was what I needed to see. Good and detailed information on the website

So from what I'm seeing now I should probably upgrade to the 500 amp controller package to see how that is and possibly upgrade the batteries later

Another question: would it be possible to add 2 more 6 volt batteries to the series that way I could still use the same charger/ port? I think there's enough room to add 2 more
Old 06-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacosquisher View Post
Wow that was what I needed to see. Good and detailed information on the website

So from what I'm seeing now I should probably upgrade to the 500 amp controller package to see how that is and possibly upgrade the batteries later

Another question: would it be possible to add 2 more 6 volt batteries to the series that way I could still use the same charger/ port? I think there's enough room to add 2 more
YES you can.....lots of people will put them in the bag well.

NOW....lets assume you do have a series cart.....if you leave it at 36v....even after your controller/solenoid/f&r/cable are up graded....it will still run at the same speed. HOWEVER, if you make the jump to 48v, you will gain 33% more speed and torque. and if that isn't quite enough....you can add a high speed motor to the mix. I too live in the flat land of texas and my primary use is running my neighborhood....I did the mods you are thinking about doing.....my cart only ran 11 mph when I got it....now its a 30 mph speed demon! and YES I got everything I needed from scottyb
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
Tacosquisher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That sounds more like my cup of tea. So I should get a new controller/solenoid and some extra batteries. So what about the charger? If hooked the new batteries up in series with the old ones would I be able to modify the charger or should I just get a new charger too?
Old 06-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You’ll have to get a 48v charger. I get all excited when I read about someone taking a 36v cart to 48. Your going to love it.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacosquisher View Post
That sounds more like my cup of tea. So I should get a new controller/solenoid and some extra batteries. So what about the charger? If hooked the new batteries up in series with the old ones would I be able to modify the charger or should I just get a new charger too?
as Orangeman said.....you will need to get a 48v charger as well.....and Scottyb can hook you up with that too!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Tacosquisher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok so next question...would I be able to just get 4 12v batteries and do away with the 6v batteries and run them all in series?
Old 06-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
ooxtreme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=Tacosquisher;1728071]Ok so next question...would I be able to just get 4 12v batteries and do away with the 6v batteries and run them all in series?[/QUOTE

Yes you can do that but you will sacrifice how far you can drive the cart. 8 6v or 6 8v batteries actually have more stored energy than the 4 12v batteries. I personally would NOT go that route.

Your run times WILL suffer with 4 12v batteries.
ooxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
tsmith_co
Getting Wild

I did this exact thing with a 2001 36v TXT. Batteries needed replaced so I jumped to 48v (6x8v). Got the alltrax 500amp controller with solenoind, new HD FNR, and put the new charger onboard so I just have to plug an extension cord on. Cart was lifted and put on 22" tires. World of difference. I kept the 36v motor, which will handle the 48v great!

MY cart has 0 issues climbing any hill (unless it's so steep it wants to stand up on it's rear tires!). And travels 20mph on my gravel driveway, which is plenty fast.

So, I highly recommend the upgrades that everyone has already suggested.
tsmith_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO