lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
teckersley
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Several Battery Questions

I am about to replace the 4 12v batteries in my Club Car Precedentand I have some questions for the folks here. I have read through a lot of information here and on the carts unlimited page relating to batteries, charging, break in , etc but there are a couple more questions I would ask for guidance on. I am not sure that it matters on the answer but in case it does, I have modified the cart with new motor, alltrax controller, solenoid, cables, etc and I am tempted to get the stretch kit now that the family is growing.

1) What are the better batteries these days? My only local choices without getting costly on core and shipping are Trojan or Interstate. I can not find anyone that would have the Crown or US Batteries. Have there been any tests to confirm the best one out of Trojan or Interstates? My dad had some work done recently on his cart and they mechanic said they were having better luck with Interstates lately. He didnt sell either but that was his opinion. What say you guys?

2) I read through the breakin procedure and that seems pretty straight forward. However, for properly longevity, it says not to let the batteries go below the 50% charged point. My quesiton is: After the break on period, should the cart be plugge in after every use or do you wait until it reaches the 50% level to recharge it.

Thanks
teckersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Several Battery Questions

Quote:

2) I read through the breakin procedure and that seems pretty straight forward. However, for properly longevity, it says not to let the batteries go below the 50% charged point. My quesiton is: After the break on period, should the cart be plugge in after every use or do you wait until it reaches the 50% level to recharge it.
Lead-acid batteries like to be kept fully charged, and the more you adhere to that, the longer the batteries will live. Think of it this way: the batteries are rated at so many Amp-Hours capacity. They are good for so many cycles, that is, for discussion purposes, running them down to 20% capacity for XX times. If you only run them down to say, 60%, or half as many AH, you'll get twice the number of cycles. In actual practice, it'll probably be more. Somewhere on this site, you'll find the advice to charge a cart between rounds of golf, even if it has the capacity for more.

Bear in mind, one of the worst things you can do is leave the batteries sit in anything less than a fully-charged state. IE: if you run them down only 30%, then park the cart for a week, you're doing serious damage.

I can't help with your first question, but will comment anyway: Seek the advice of someone who is in the business of repairing carts. Any individual owner will have only limited experience, but a professional sees many carts, owned by different people, so can give you a much better opinion.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: Several Battery Questions

Trojans are fine

Plug in after every use
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car