lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
southbound01
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car CarryAll 472 Hard steering

I bought a 2004 CarryAll 472 at an auction. It has 23" AT tires and is very hard to steer when going slow. I greased entire front end and replaced the top bearing in the rack and pinion too. It's a 2 handed operation for me and no way my wife could do it. I talked to different golf cart places and they all say it shouldn't be that hard? I know it's a long wheel base cart with the full cab on it but just trying to find what the problem could be??
southbound01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car CarryAll 472 Hard steering

check the kingpin bushings someone may have overtighted the bolts holding them on or the bushings may be rusted solid , start by jacking up the front end and turning the wheels and see what you get , then disconnect the tierod ends and try turning the wheels by hand , I think your going to find one of your kingpins are binding up also don't forget to replace those cotter pins (never reuse cotter pins ) keep us posted
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'd first check to see if the steering is still hard when the front end is off the ground,
I don't know about the 472, But, most Club Cars have an adjustment on the steering gear box to tighten or loosen the steering pressure,
and should only be adjusted if the steering is tight when the tires are off the ground, and all other possible problems have been eliminated!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
southbound01
Not Yet Wild

I forgot to mention when I jack up the front end you can turn the wheel with one finger it's only with full weight that there's a problem. When it's up in the air and I'm laying under it and push the tires side to side they move ok but it's not real smooth, it feels l like the rack & pinion might be part of the problem? I think I'm going to loosen everything up and see what happens. I know these parts are not cheap so I don't want to start replacing things unless it needs to be. I live in NJ but the 472 is in MD so I won't be down there for a couple weeks. Thanks for your help, I'll post again if I find the problem.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
southbound01
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE: Found out that it does need a new steering gear box. Does anybody have tips/guidelines for setting camber, caster or toe-in on this vehicle??
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
jackhammered1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

do you have a picture of your cart? i don't see many 472 carts on this page. I'm currently building one.
jackhammered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts