lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2023, 12:10 AM   #1
UrMomsAHa
Not Yet Wild

Default G14 459cc swap or Rebuild and Plowman performance parts

i have a G14 that needs a new muffler and an engine rebuild, i was initially going to just do the rebuild and then put the plowman performance package on with his muffler and all but its not that much more to jus do a HF 459cc Vegas carts kit full swap.

My question is does anyone have experience with both? how loud are the 2 comparatively, my stock setup the previous owner cut open the muffler and only they know what they've destroyed in there and its a whole lot louder than I'm sure its supposed to be and I like to bring the noise level back as close to stock as possible if not quieter.

I'm also wondering which one will be more reliable? I really want to be able to jump in the cart and go (I know novel concept right)

any other tidbits of info about performance of the 2 options or anything you think might be helpful is greatly appreciated. if there are already threads ill go read those but i couldn't really find them.
UrMomsAHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:12 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 459cc swap or Rebuild and Plowman performance parts

You will not beat Plowmans support, and Don's products are top notch. Manys years of being Mr. Yamaha!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:32 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Iíd second the plowman option. The HF is going to be WAY louder and just not desirable as a cruiser. Fun off road in a rough and ragged cart but not something Iíd want to cruise around in regularly. Reliability is going to be far better with the Yamaha setup as well.

If you want yamaha reliability and quality with a big boost in power Don sells a 402 motor thatís plug and play as well.

Iíd highly recommend just giving him a call, and discuss your goals and needs. Whatever youíre looking for the cart to do, heíll make it happen and then some.

Just give him a call. He donít bite :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:20 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I have a G 14. 1 The 402 engine will NOT bolt into a G 14 or any of the earlier G2-9 carts either. Any of The later G 16 and up engine family will NOT bolt in without massive fabrication. I ran the stock and slightly modded engine from 2008 until 2012 when I switched to VC 460 power. The Vegascarts kit is a Direct bolt in. AS far as the noise goes IF you are will to spend some money on the exhaust system it can be pretty near the stock sound level. As far as performance there is a day versus night comparison. Even a mildly built clone is 2 - 3 times quicker than the stocker. As far as parts go the large clone is second only to it's smaller brother. Almost anything you can imagine is produced from all kinds of suppliers everywhere. You can see my Vc 460 thread showing where I started in 2012 with the gen 1 VC 460 along with its upgrade to the gen 3 VC 460. And in another thread is my 460 Omega journey where I build my first engine from scratch with the goal of making an engine or running with a 6500 rpm red line. No B.S. just an honest play by play picture of what I actually did. P.S. In my case I would NEVER go back to a stocker. P.P.S. I use my cart virtually every day for 7-8 months of the year P.P.P.S. I would not use the HF 459 which doesn't have much aftermarket support but rather the new Duromax 440 cc unit that is the best clone unit out there. Red Beard and others have Youtube videos of this engines internals and they do all kings of builds.All the aftermarket speed fits this engine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I have a G 14. 1 The 402 engine will NOT bolt into a G 14 or any of the earlier G2-9 carts either. Any of The later G 16 and up engine family will NOT bolt in without massive fabrication. I ran the stock and slightly modded engine from 2008 until 2012 when I switched to VC 460 power. The Vegascarts kit is a Direct bolt in. AS far as the noise goes IF you are will to spend some money on the exhaust system it can be pretty near the stock sound level. As far as performance there is a day versus night comparison. Even a mildly built clone is 2 - 3 times quicker than the stocker. As far as parts go the large clone is second only to it's smaller brother. Almost anything you can imagine is produced from all kinds of suppliers everywhere. You can see my Vc 460 thread showing where I started in 2012 with the gen 1 VC 460 along with its upgrade to the gen 3 VC 460. And in another thread is my 460 Omega journey where I build my first engine from scratch with the goal of making an engine or running with a 6500 rpm red line. No B.S. just an honest play by play picture of what I actually did. P.S. In my case I would NEVER go back to a stocker. P.P.S. I use my cart virtually every day for 7-8 months of the year P.P.P.S. I would not use the HF 459 which doesn't have much aftermarket support but rather the new Duromax 440 cc unit that is the best clone unit out there. Red Beard and others have Youtube videos of this engines internals and they do all kings of builds.All the aftermarket speed fits this engine.
JN3-200101 = 1996 G-14, if the cart is a 1996, Plowman's web site says it WILL bolt in. https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1682369304&v=2

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 05:18 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That seems odd as both the 95 and 96 G 14's have the muffler behind the engine with the same header which is the opposite of the later G16 and up carts where the header and muffler is in the forward position. The base plate on both years are identical where as the G16 and up the layout of it is completely different. I clicked on your link and that just showed the 402 and no listing for the carts it fits. I also looked all over his site and could not find that specific listing. A call to Don should clear it up. Possibly a misprint ? JN6-200101 would be a 1998 G16 Stay tuned
Old 06-21-2023, 03:09 PM   #7
UrMomsAHa
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
so no problems with reliability with the duramax that you know of? what am i looking at as far as exhaust to get the noise back down. where or what do i even search for
UrMomsAHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 03:27 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Vegascarts sells the whole installation kit for the Yamaha G 14 with the muffler exhaust system all figured out for the single cylinder clone including the Duromax 440 cc engine. With the kit it is an afternoon bolt in. Vegascarts has the step by step installation guide with pics on their site. IMHO It is more work getting the old engine out than installing the new one. TONS of info from many others in the big block clones section of this site. The G 14 is in particularly simple due to it's layout. P.S. The only complaint I have ever seen was some stock air cleaners have clearance problems with the rear shock mount. I use a spigot type intake manifold mounted backwards on the carb with a K&N filter on that . Pic on page 13 of my Vc 460 build. P.P.S. I would get the adjustable jet kit from NRracing so you can dial the carb in for whatever you do. The factory jetting is sometimes lean due to EPA rules.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:31 PM   #9
Tripline123
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Iíd second the plowman option. The HF is going to be WAY louder and just not desirable as a cruiser. Fun off road in a rough and ragged cart but not something Iíd want to cruise around in regularly. Reliability is going to be far better with the Yamaha setup as well.

If you want yamaha reliability and quality with a big boost in power Don sells a 402 motor thatís plug and play as well.

Iíd highly recommend just giving him a call, and discuss your goals and needs. Whatever youíre looking for the cart to do, heíll make it happen and then some.

Just give him a call. He donít bite :)
I called there last week and tried asking some questions. The lady told me they won't rebuild my older G2 engine until after November (off season) and that they don't have any on the shelf. I said cant wait that long and if there was any other option. Just silence from her. I said looks like I'm stuck doing a predator swap. She then says well if you do that e cant help you at all all, not even with a clutch. Ok, bye. I had no idea they sold there own engines or I would of went that way instead. Maybe this is because I have an older G2 and not a new one. But not what I expected after visiting their web site.
Tripline123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:32 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

In 2012 when My G 14 needed a full rebuild, I found that support on a total replacement was little to nothing on the G 2-14 line with the 14 which was a 2 year only engine being the worst. Enough of the B.S. for Ray and switched to VC clone power. I see this in other brand of carts where guys are looking are begging to find this part or that part for their engine and I think not for me. It was the same situation on the HD cart particularly with the crank bearing and connecting rod. Again, this is not for me so I did the sled engine swap where there are plenty of parts. There are situations where an old cart is MINT and you want to keep it stock BUT as a daily driver WHY. P.S. Someone posted that he preferred the japan built unit over the china built unit. The most famous japan built small engine in the world the HONDA GX 390 bolts right in to the Vegascarts single cylinder swaps. P.S. The later Yamaha G16 and up engines are well supported so that is a tougher call. There is is more of a question of where you want to be at the end of the day
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha