lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #1
harpojim
Not Yet Wild

Default Drive2 Repair Manual or Information on torque specs

I posted a while back on the poor ride quality I am getting on my NEW Drive2. As one person who replied in the post described it; it is like the cart bunny hops.
We have eliminated the tires, rims and suspension. As described in the post just referenced, the dealer was of no help at all unfortunately. I even called Yamaha but they just said to try another dealer. At $100 a trip to and from a dealer (transportation not covered under warranty) and with my experience with the first dealer, I am not going that route. I mistakenly thought if I bought a new cart I would have years of warranty so anything that went wrong would be covered and taken care of. NOPE. A warranty is only as good as the dealer. And, my local dealer sucks.

So, I am going after the front hubs. They are about $90/each but they are back ordered from Yamaha with no date available for when they will be available!!! Next best thing is order new bearings. Did that yesterday. Bought some Timkins. I will be replacing the bearings when they arrive but I can not find anywhere the torque spec for the spindle nut that holds the hub onto the spindle and provides some preload on the bearings. I would think this is a critical torque setting so I want to find it before I go and tear everything apart.

I have looked high and low for an online repair manual for a newer Drive2 but have yet to find one except ordering a paper copy from Yamaha for well over $100. Someone has to have a copy and can at least give the torque spec for this nut. If you have a manual and can look up this spec it would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to replace the entire hub but, as stated, they are not available. So, if the cart still bunny hops after bearing replacement there is the variable of the hub itself possibly being milled incorrectly. Both of these variable are unlikely, I know this. But, something is causing this terrible bunny hopping ride. I don't know what else to do.

This sucks having a new cart that rides terrible. I have a old Club Car that I jump in for most of my travels because I can't stand the ride of the new Yamaha.
harpojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2023, 03:32 PM   #2
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive2 Repair Manual or Information on torque specs

I have a 2021 Yamaha Drive 2 and I too have tried to locate the Drive 2 service manual but appears there are not any free copies posted on the web as of yet. However, I do have the Yamaha Drive service manual that I reference which I'm sure still applies for a good number of items on the Drive 2.

According to the Service Manual for the Drive (again not Drive 2), the Front Hub Flange Nut Torque spec is 65-103 lb-ft. I also remember seeing somebody else posting about this topic and believe it was mentioned that it was recommended this nut be tightened until it becomes harder to turn the hub and then to loosen the nut just enough until the hub spins easy again. I have not seen this posted in a formal document so take this only for what it's worth.

Regarding the hopping you're experiencing, I have noticed a little hopping in my cart after I installed a new wheel and tire package when traveling at speeds less than max (my cart will run 32-33 mph on level ground after installing the Plowman performance kit). I would describe it as a minor hop and I only notice it sometimes, not all the time. I would assume this is just coming from random imbalance in the one or more of the wheels/tires and seems to be worse if the cart sits for a while. I wonder if there is a way for you to borrow a another set of wheels and tires to test out on your cart to rule out imbalanced wheels/tires as being the problem.
TCDrive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
Brian Baker
Gone Wild

I have the complete manual, purchased from Yamaha as a dealer.
I will happily share every single page of it but I am computer stupid. If someone can figure out a way that a goober can share a page, multiple pages etc. please lmk.
Brian Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:04 PM   #4
harpojim
Not Yet Wild

First of all, Brian, that would be great if you can get someone to guide you through the process to send it.
To TCDrive2, thank you for the post and advise. That torque spec range is surprisingly large. Can't say as I have seen a torque spec with that large of a range. About your comment regarding tires/wheels. I kind of eliminated that as a cause. Altogether I have tried three sets of tires and wheels on this cart. No change at all. Bunny hops with every set.
harpojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:32 AM   #5
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
I have the complete manual, purchased from Yamaha as a dealer.
I will happily share every single page of it but I am computer stupid. If someone can figure out a way that a goober can share a page, multiple pages etc. please lmk.
Brian,

It would be great if you can provide the Drive 2 service manual. I sent a private message direct to you providing a free file transfer site: www.wetransfer.com that you can use to upload and then send the service manual. If you can send to me, I can get it to harpojim since he has been looking for it as well. Let me know if any issues. Thanks!

"Edit to above" If you only have it as a hard copy (not electronic), it would require you to scan the pages into an electronic document. Obviously, this would take a lot of time, so it would be best to obtain it electronically (as a PDF document) if you can. No problem, if you can't.
TCDrive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #6
bcsnave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDrive2 View Post
I have a 2021 Yamaha Drive 2..........
.......(my cart will run 32-33 mph on level ground after installing the Plowman performance kit). .

So did you do the Plowmans whole performance kit for $699? Did you add overdrive clutching?
bcsnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha