lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Noise dampening

Anyone know some ways to quiet a g1 down? Has anyone tried putting a sound deading material like they use in cars on their shell that’s around the motor? Or wrapping the exhaust? Or am I just better off leaving it alone just asking for any ideas and wanna know if any of you guys did it. Thanks.
Chris_feldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2023, 12:39 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Noise dampening

The noise of the G1 is mostly due to the fact that it's a 2 stroke engine. Is your muffler in good shape? A new muffler would make a difference if yours is rotted out inside. Plowman's Carts sells a G1 muffler, but it's a performance version, so it's a little louder than a new stock unit. But if yours is roached it would be quieter. Another idea is to rig up another muffler at the end of the tailpipe, but that has space issues and will likely reduce performance. Wrapping the exhaust won't help noise much, that's more for heat reduction.

The tailpipe on the G1 faces down which makes the sound bounce off the road. You could also add a tailpipe that faces outwards and that would reduce the amount of sound that reflects back up toward the driver. This is common on cars and trucks as well.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

It wasn't on my G1 but I have an old Columbia that was very loud and I couldn't fix it mechanically. I layered the underside with a "dynamat" clone that I got off of Amazon. I can't recall the exact product now but it was something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Siless-mil-sq...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Dynamat is a sound deadening pad that is used for automotive purposes. It can be place on firewalls to keep engine noise out of the passenger compartment and things like that. I lined the entire underside of the cart body with it. It worked pretty well. I bet it knocked the sound down 50% or so?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
Chris_feldk
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah my muffler is still solid. It’s just always a been touch louder than most other carts and I feel like it’s loud enough other people can here it through their houses. I might dynomat the inside of the hood. It might make it a deeper tone but probably would help. If not I could try the extended pipe at the end of the muffler. Thanks guys for the suggestions I appreciate it
Chris_feldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

check that the exhuast manifold gasket is not leaking and that the manifold to muffler sealing rings are free and not leaking. Ive seen a bunch of the seized up in the manifold and they dont seal well.

you could also try wrapping the exhaust
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha