lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2023, 04:28 PM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Need help with 2011 G29

Hey guys, a good friend of mine just picked up a 2011 G29 Drive and he has a couple issues. Wondering if any of you have run into this?

1. Secondary clutch won't backshift. After you accelerate and come to a stop the belt is stuck halfway in the secondary clutch. If you fiddle with the throttle it will eventually find it's way back to the top of the sheaves. It's not a big deal with one person on the cart, but with 2 or more it just doesn't have any low end torque. I see Plowman's has a clutch kit that fixes this, but he doesn't really want to spend $600 on a cart he just bought. Any other ways to fix this? Any lube or maintenance for the secondary?

2. The suspension is really soft and while turning it feels really tippy. It does have a 4" lift and 20" tires. He just bought the red HD springs for the rear and it did help some. Any other remedy for the tippy feeling? He said there is some kind of sway bar kit available, anyone know about this?

3. Looking for a service manual too, I have every other model except the G29, can't seem to find one. Any leads on this?

Thanks in advance. I've never worked on this model cart yet.

Slo
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Need help with 2011 G29

Could be a broken spring or bad ramps. Just for grins look for a grease fitting and give it a couple of pumps. No more.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:28 PM   #3
tom4416
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Isn't that year still running the Team clutches? That alone might account for the issues you're seeing. Although even when Yamaha went back to the old design, they had to make a running change in the G29 lineup to improve the durability (6 rivet design versus 4 rivet) to the secondary sheave. Assume the Team clutches have the same zerk fitting on the secondary, give it two shots of grease and see if it improves.

The easy redneck fix for the tippy feeling is spacers behind the wheels. Extend them out two inches on each side and it will help with the stability but I tend to think spacers are really hard on the suspension components as it moves that unsprung weight outward where 1 pound now equals 2 pounds (or more depending upon the spread). Sway bars would help if there is such an animal.

I have a G29 shop manual but it is for 2015 and up where the clutches are different, back to the drum brakes and away from the internal wet brake, some changes to the fuel system for emission purposes, even on carb models like mine. I would gladly post it up here but it is broken into two big files - 68MB and 100MB so don't know if the system would upload them and also don't know this forum's rules about posting copyrighted information. I did find them free online, wish I could remember where because wherever it was had numerous other years as well and they were complete shop manuals, not owners manuals. I'll look and see if I can find out where I got them.

As others will recommend, call Plowman's - if anyone knows those clutches, it's certainly him.
tom4416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 11:30 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yes it's the team clutches. No grease fitting, at least not that we could find. Already has spacers and offset wheels.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:36 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Iíd just give Don plowman a call. Yes I understand just buying a cart and not wanting to put a bunch of money into your new toy, but buy once, cry once. Go with don's setup and never look back. Itíll perform better than the stock clutches ever could
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Before you call anyone (AKA spend money) check to make sure that your primary clutch isnt hanging up due to a dry/bad bushing.
We take them apart and use a scotch brite pad to clean up the shaft and the rollers
This is a short term fix but will tell you where the problem is.

That secondary is tough to service even with the correct tools. You need about 4 hands and only have room for two. I think there is a grease fitting on the sheave.

What lift kit and what type of 20" tires? What's the tire pressure?
The tippy feeling seems to come lifting. Especially the cheaper drop-down spindle lift kits. The geometry isn't correct. Stiffer springs help but the ride suffers.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:58 PM   #7
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a 2007 Drive with the Team clutches. Mine also had the issue of not completely "downshifting" . About 11 years ago, I had Plowman rebuild both clutches. Don asked me whether the cart was lifted or not and what type of terrain I used it on, so he could select the best spring for my application. He then sent them back with one of his heavy duty belts, and I couldn't be happier. 11 years later and it still fully downshifts every time and shifts smoothly throughout its speed and load range. Yes, it might not be a cheap fix, but it's certainly cheaper than buying all new clutches.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:34 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Thank you for all the input. I recognize that these clutches were not the greatest Yamaha ever made and I have suggested Plowman's clutches to my friend. Still looking for a digital service manual for him.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha