lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
thatoneguywhodoesthings
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 with Predator 420cc no power at WOT

I've got a Yamaha G2 with a Predator 420cc engine in it that's been fairly modified (exhaust, valve springs, governor removed and a smaller electric fuel pump I bought at Autozone) and has ran moderately well over the years. I say moderately because its my dad's cart in his possession and I did the mods on it, so it only seems to run when I'm around because he doesnt pay attention to it or maintain it.

He said the cart wasnt running well and asked me to replace the carb in it so I bought a chinese Mikuni flat slide 32mm carb and dropped it in with smaller jets since he lives at 7,000' in Flagstaff. It ran ok but was definitely rich and I felt I could do better so I bought another 34mm Nibbi flat slide carb on Amazon but after installation its been a nightmare.

Even with a smaller 130 main jet and a smaller pilot jet, it runs rich as hell and the only way I can get it to stay running reasonably well is with the fuel petcock valve nearly closed. If I open it all the way, the float bowl overflows and fuel comes out the exhaust occasionally. Any thoughts? I'm about to just stick that cheap 32mm chinese carb back in.
thatoneguywhodoesthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 with Predator 420cc no power at WOT

34 mm is awfully big for anything other than an all out racing engine in the single cylinder clones. I use a modded 24 mm 625 clone engine carb and that is plenty.If you are set up for a mikuni type carb something like a 26-28 mm would be more in line for a golf cart engine. You don't list what you are doing about the camshaft. Stock , torque , or full race unit ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:00 PM   #3
thatoneguywhodoesthings
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
34 mm is awfully big for anything other than an all out racing engine in the single cylinder clones. I use a modded 24 mm 625 clone engine carb and that is plenty.If you are set up for a mikuni type carb something like a 26-28 mm would be more in line for a golf cart engine. You don't list what you are doing about the camshaft. Stock , torque , or full race unit ?
Everything else is stock except what's mentioned (valve springs, fuel pump, etc). I do have a pancake filter on the carburetor but that's pretty much it. I'll definitely drop down a size or two for the carburetor, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I went so big was I saw other recommendations in the thread to go that size.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:08 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

What were you reading ? The mini bikers turning 12,000 rpms in the 1/8 mile or super speedway go Karters turning 7000-8000 rpms ? The stock carb with an adjustable jet works really well even much more modified than you are and is dead simple to tune
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:33 PM   #5
thatoneguywhodoesthings
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
What were you reading ? The mini bikers turning 12,000 rpms in the 1/8 mile or super speedway go Karters turning 7000-8000 rpms ? The stock carb with an adjustable jet works really well even much more modified than you are and is dead simple to tune
I honestly dont recall, but it was last week. I'd have rather stayed with the stock carburetor that came with the the Predator engine but I had a lot of problems with these things since they have that anti-backfire solenoid that would kick in occasionally for no reason even when there was no backfire. There's also hardly any room between the carburetor and frame for doing anything even with no air filter so I had someone who built motorcycles for a living fab me a custom intake tube that cleared the cart frame and I just put the chinese mikuni style flat slide carb on.

What you say though makes complete sense about the carburetor size because smaller carburetors I had installed always worked better
Old 07-31-2023, 05:31 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If it's not a genuine Mikuni then I'm betting you have a junk carb. I've tried several of those cheap carbs from Amazon and Ebay, they never work right. I've used 4 genuine Mikuni carbs on cart big block engines and they all run fantastic. I have used a 34mm VM style on a clone and it ran great.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha