lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS - long delay when push down pedal

Just bought a gas club car and it has an issue.

When you press the pedal in a gas golf there is normally a 1 second or so delay before the motor starts but in the one I just bought I can push the pedal and it's like 5 seconds or even 8 seconds before it starts.

When it starts it runs completely fine - lots of power but it just takes forever to go - sometimes it starts after 2-3 seconds but most of the time it's like 8 seconds.

Is this an easy fix? Thank you!
bigkahuna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS - long delay when push down pedal

Starter belt is loose, or it needs a new battery and/or cable connections for the battery or starter or solenoid are dirty/corroded.

Pop the seat up and watch the starter pulley while trying to start, if its spinning but not turning the motor it will make a whine or whirring sound and eventually it will start.

If it Doesn't spin right away, or spins a little then stops, then check battery voltage and all conections.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Starter belt is loose, or it needs a new battery and/or cable connections for the battery or starter or solenoid are dirty/corroded.

Pop the seat up and watch the starter pulley while trying to start, if its spinning but not turning the motor it will make a whine or whirring sound and eventually it will start.

If it Doesn't spin right away, or spins a little then stops, then check battery voltage and all conections.
Ok thank you I will check those things. I read through a bunch of older posts and so far this is what it looks like I need to check.

- Battery cables - especially ground cables for starter
- Micro Switches
- Starter pulley - check to see if it's spinning (as per quote above)
- Carb (make sure it's not being flooded) may need to adjust cable pull to prevent flooding
- Ignition Coil

I'll start with the easiest ones first and then move on. I'll report back on what I find out as I have time this week. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Subscribed as my '87 does this but I've not really considered it a major issue. Plant the gas and nothing happens (no sound or anything) for about a second or so. Then it starts and runs completely normal. Pretty sure it's not my s/g belt, as that issue is usually accompanied by a whine as the belt slips in the pulley before grabbing.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Subscribed as my '87 does this but I've not really considered it a major issue. Plant the gas and nothing happens (no sound or anything) for about a second or so. Then it starts and runs completely normal. Pretty sure it's not my s/g belt, as that issue is usually accompanied by a whine as the belt slips in the pulley before grabbing.
A short delay is pretty normal I believe as most carts I've used on the golf course always have a bit of a delay of a second or so.

This is my first time buying one though and I got $300 knocked off because of the issue but mine is definitely more like 5 seconds every time which isn't great for using on a local road - especially when you are pulling out and a car is coming :)
Old 07-13-2020, 04:20 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna75 View Post
A short delay is pretty normal I believe as most carts I've used on the golf course always have a bit of a delay of a second or so.

This is my first time buying one though and I got $300 knocked off because of the issue but mine is definitely more like 5 seconds every time which isn't great for using on a local road - especially when you are pulling out and a car is coming :)
No, I don't think it's normal. For the first 3-4 years I had the cart, it never did this, and my 1990 cart never does this. And the delay doesn't always happen. Sometimes when warm, the delay doesn't occur. Maybe I should just recheck the belt.

Does your cart make any noise during your delay? Like a whine or anything else indicating that it's trying to start?
Old 07-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
bigkahuna75
Not Yet Wild

Update - after an afternoon of testing.

If I press very very lightly it will start every time after a couple second delay.

If I push the pedal down all the way no start.

Thinking now it might be flooding the carb and I need to adjust the pedal/carb controls.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:29 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna75 View Post
Update - after an afternoon of testing.

If I press very very lightly it will start every time after a couple second delay.

If I push the pedal down all the way no start.

Thinking now it might be flooding the carb and I need to adjust the pedal/carb controls.
I have a version of this pedal issue too and have read many guys on here who also have it: the pedal has a "sweet spot" when cold starting. With mine, while flooring the pedal will cause the starter/generator to turn the motor over...it won't actually fire up and start until I let off slightly on the gas pedal. Despite seeing this issue brought up several times, I've never heard an answer as to what the cause and fix is, so I've just learned to live with it. Interested to see if you can fix it and what you end up doing.

Fairtax seems to be pretty knowledgeable about these carts. Maybe he knows?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I have a version of this pedal issue too and have read many guys on here who also have it: the pedal has a "sweet spot" when cold starting. With mine, while flooring the pedal will cause the starter/generator to turn the motor over...it won't actually fire up and start until I let off slightly on the gas pedal. Despite seeing this issue brought up several times, I've never heard an answer as to what the cause and fix is, so I've just learned to live with it. Interested to see if you can fix it and what you end up doing.

Fairtax seems to be pretty knowledgeable about these carts. Maybe he knows?
My 99 DS was this way and an old 4 stroke ezgo marathon i had was this way. I guess it depends if its doing nothing or turning the starter and just not firing
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
My 99 DS was this way and an old 4 stroke ezgo marathon i had was this way. I guess it depends if its doing nothing or turning the starter and just not firing
Mine does nothing during the delay. Then it just comes to life.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car