lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Default Tappered Bearings/ roller bearings

Me and bearings did not have a good weekend. I knew I was having a bad bearing in the front right wheel on my ezgo. (it has a 300ex IFS)
What I didn't know was my left rear wheel (Honda TRX 350 drive) started popping yesterday. I just replaced these bearings back middle of deer season. I'm trying to talk myself that it was a bad bearing and not the 4" wheel spacers that I have installed. I hear that they are rough on wheel bearings.

I been thinking if a tapered roller bearing would be better than ball bearings. Has anyone had any experience with converting ball bearings to tapered?
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Tappered Bearings/ roller bearings

No experience in carts and not sure if they can be used....
If you want to run big tires on Broncos (or anything like a 4x4) tapered bearings are the only way to go. They spread the load out wider. I have a Currie big tapered bearing axle housing in our Bronco and I have seen what simple ball bearings axle housings do when running 35"-38" tires hard.
Also wheel spacers do present more load on the bearings of either type. Think of it as a lever.... the further the wheel is from the bearing the more pressure against it is involved. But tapered roller bearings will be better off and not suffer as much as ball bearings.
Good luck...
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

The roller bearings I use are in a kit from a local supplier. I usually pop the dust cover off and take a syringe and fill with white lithium grease. From what I have read on the net I can convert over to tapered but the whole tube on that side of the Honda axle would have to be packed with grease. I've seen a self contained tapered bearing before. I just have to find it. If not I may have to figure out away to double bearing it. Just a FYI I have never had to replace a bearing on the brake hub side.
Attached Images
File Type: gif h00510093.gif (28.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

the bearing on the brake side has a double bearing. (see 18 )
Attached Images
File Type: gif h00510075.gif (35.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center