lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Roof Mount Radio vs In-Dash Mount - Your Thoughts and Pics?

I bought an 03 TXT with a roof mounted radio and speakers. I like the fact that it's up and out of the way, and there is no cutting of the body to install speakers. However, when going over bumps it seems to make the roof shake a little bit more than I'd like... In addition, there's nowhere to set a phone if I want to play music that way.

I've seen numerous applications where guys install radios in the golf ball holder in the dash. When doing this, is there a standard way that the radio is supported from the underside? I would think it would still do quite a bit of moving when going over bumps.

Has anyone put their radio in any other convenient places I'm not thinking about?

Please feel free to post up pics of your setup. I have no concerns about doing the work, but I'd like some ideas to figure out exactly what I want before I go cutting holes in the cart...

Thanks in advance!
michaelmc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Roof Mount Radio vs In-Dash Mount - Your Thoughts and Pics?

Welcome to BGW Michael!

There are a ton of stereo install on this site, so you might want to try performing a "search" and I'm sure you will find all kinds of info. The search is what I use more than anything now.

Hope this helps!! But just to let you know I installed my radio in the dash with no additional support and it has always been fine, however, I would not expect a CD to play without skipping because my cart rides rough. The standard install cage that came with my radio was all that I used during installation.

Last edited by guyboy1970; 07-06-2017 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Additional information
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guyboy! I know, I need to get better about using search... I always scoff at people that don't take the 5 minutes to look it up for themselves, but would you look at me....
Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
guyboy1970
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You're welcome Michael and i know the feeling!!! I dodged the search bar for a long time! All good.

There are some really nice stereo installs on some of the buggies on this site and then I have the basic stuff so there should be a ton of info and pics to look at.
guyboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

I would mount in the dash, even IF you play golf.

And more importantly get Bluetooth capability in the deck... Nobody uses CD's that I know of, and I'm old.

Granted the weight of a box that mounts to the roof, including deck and speakers can make to top shake a little, I wouldn't want that either.

So, dash mount the deck, and put the speakers in the front wall of the body, if there's room, or, get an aftermarket dash to accommodate it all.

Like was said, search a little more, and make a decision that fits your needs.

Personally, I just run a small BT speaker independently of the cart. Works great for me, but I also cant really jam out on a golf course....
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input Mike. If it didn't already have everything set up for a radio, I probably would have just gone with a bluetooth speaker as well. But I can't in good conscience rip out a perfectly good stereo and speakers and have them just kick around the garage!

I'll keep looking around the forum for some ideas. I like the look of the Elite dashboards for the TXT's, but I haven't been able to find one in just plain black. They're all carbon fiber, wood grain, etc.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I opted for a roof mount on my 2010 CC Precedent. I took the time to run the wires inside the front roof support. It makes for a nice installation. The only problem I have is vibration. While driving around the top flexes and causes vibration. It hasn't caused any problem but it just bothers me. I'm considering some type of metal brace going between the 2 front top supports to try to reduce it. That is the only drawback.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

I like to have everything hidden unless I am using it for aesthetics and for security purposes. Digital amps are getting so small and inexpensive that you can tuck a 6 channel amp almost anywhere. Look at something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181376081407

Enough to power 4 speakers plus a subwoofer and crossovers and level adjustments to boot. Hook up a Bluetooth receiver and put in a tablet or phone mount and you are in business. Doesn't break the bank, either.

I also like using a headphone jack to rca for sound quality, and it allows me to use a Bluetooth controller on the steering wheel to control volume and track. I mount my iPad or phone to the dash and go.
Looks really slick at night using MacIntosh's audio player because it looks like their line of home amplifiers, with meters and all.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Here's a system that we have installed in several carts and have had nothing but positive feedback on, it's actually a Kenwood Marine Amp with Bluetooth and Line-in:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Compa...rine+bluetooth

The amp is small enough to be mounted under the dash, and the control unit actually snaps perfectly into the factory ball holder

VC08.jpg

We've used several dash-mount speakers and also mounted them on the kick panels, but for sheer sound quality and more clean volume than You'll ever need on a Golf Cart, I can't say enough about these wakeboard cans:

https://www.amazon.com/MCM-60-10031-...=mcm+wakeboard

Here's a pic of them mounted on the bag rack of a TXT, they can also easily be hung from the rear canopy supports - the 8" woofer makes a HUGE difference over a 5.5 or 6.5" speaker in regards to bass response, and the cans can be polyfilled to get even deeper, tighter bass

VC03.jpg

We tried several different Marine Amps before settling on the Kenwood I linked to, the Pyle stuff almost unilaterally failed within 6 months so I'd stay FAR away from it. I've had the same Kenwood in my personal Workhorse for well over a year and a half now and its GREAT, I can crank things up when I'm in the woods working on the trails, etc and as I mentioned earlier, the sound quality is beyond belief for the price point of the system (I do Live Sound for a living as well as building Carts, so quality sound is pretty important to me, LOL) ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
michaelmc29
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the responses gentlemen. While I do like the sound of an amp and high quality speakers, I am fairly certain my wife will not share my appreciation... For now I think it would be wise of me to stick with the stereo I've got, and just mount it differently.

As far as bluetooth capability, the deck does not currently have it. Is that Kenwood bluetooth device that BrewCity posted something that can be installed and hooked to my existing deck? It's got RCA ports, aux, etc. For being 26 years old you'd think I'd know more about technology...

Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO