lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
tfsherry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Baja Mexico
Posts: 5
Default 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Hello,

1st time poster, 1st time Gas Cart owner.

I bought a 1994 or 1995 Marathon (just a guess based on the voltage regulator and the look of the front end). Not 100% because someone seems to have removed the ID plate.

This cart went from running okay to bad to very bad in a matter of weeks. After reading up on some of the causes of sluggish behavior, I decided to clean the carb. I watched a youtube and did the whole breakdown as the guy did in the video. Not much dirt in the bowl so I cleaned what was in the bowl and sprayed a liberal amount of carburetor cleaner through it. After reassembly, I tried to turn it over in neutral and I just hear the started with no kick over (win-win-win-win). When I spray some carburetor cleaner directly into it, it kicks over like a start but then it goes back to win-win-win-win of just the started motor.

In the video the guy tests the fuel pump by feeding it back into the gas tank and using the starter motor to see how much gas flow there is. He doesn't show it on camera so I have no idea how much there's supposed to be but mine is just a bit more than dripping (small stream). Thanks for your attention!
tfsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 06-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
R3dkni9ht
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 28
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Check fuel filter... Maybe buy a new carb just to rule it out, I think they are only $20ish. Sounds like its not a spark issue if it fires when you spray starting fluid in it. But maybe check the spark and make sure its strong just to be sure.
R3dkni9ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:54 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British and proud
 
Cartmaster's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

do you have the twin cylinder four stroke or single cylinder two stroke.

If it is the twin, it is most likely you will have to check your valve lash and set it to .004

you should see a fairly strong pulse of fuel coming out of the pump. Clean the outside of the pump and see if it has a little gold patch set in and if so clean it out with carb cleaner as it is an air filter to allow the diaphram to pulse with the engine vacuum.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
tfsherry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Baja Mexico
Posts: 5
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Many thanks, I did get a new carb and fuel filter, that worked!
tfsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 500
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dkni9ht View Post
Check fuel filter... Maybe buy a new carb just to rule it out, I think they are only $20ish. Sounds like its not a spark issue if it fires when you spray starting fluid in it. But maybe check the spark and make sure its strong just to be sure.
do you know where these carbs are available for $20? my local dealer had oem ones for $80 when I needed one a couple years ago.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
trig123
Gone Wild
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,011
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

I would rather have the OEM any day over the $20 ones. My 2 cents
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
CP241
Eats dirt.
 
CP241's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,951
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I would rather have the OEM any day over the $20 ones. My 2 cents
Agreed. Sometimes people get lucky and get one that works. But more often than not, it ends up just working very well to make whoever bought it chase their tail for weeks trying to figure out what is wrong with their cart, when it was the $20 carburetor all along. A $3 can of carb cleaner and some compressed air works a lot better than a $20 carb.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
alieid
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfsherry View Post
Hello,

1st time poster, 1st time Gas Cart owner.

I bought a 1994 or 1995 Marathon (just a guess based on the voltage regulator and the look of the front end). Not 100% because someone seems to have removed the ID plate.

This cart went from running okay to bad to very bad in a matter of weeks. After reading up on some of the causes of sluggish behavior, I decided to clean the carb. I watched a youtube and did the whole breakdown as the guy did in the video. Not much dirt in the bowl so I cleaned what was in the bowl and sprayed a liberal amount of carburetor cleaner through it. After reassembly, I tried to turn it over in neutral and I just hear the started with no kick over (win-win-win-win). When I spray some carburetor cleaner directly into it, it kicks over like a start but then it goes back to win-win-win-win of just the started motor.

In the video the guy tests the fuel pump by feeding it back into the gas tank and using the starter motor to see how much gas flow there is. He doesn't show it on camera so I have no idea how much there's supposed to be but mine is just a bit more than dripping (small stream). Thanks for your attention!
Did you clean the jets as well or just the bowl? I'd be curious if it was the filter or the new carb that fixed it.
alieid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 500
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dkni9ht View Post
Check fuel filter... Maybe buy a new carb just to rule it out, I think they are only $20ish. Sounds like its not a spark issue if it fires when you spray starting fluid in it. But maybe check the spark and make sure its strong just to be sure.
new carb from ezgo dealer was $80 for me in 2016

i dont mess with chinese knockoffs but im sure there is a $20 chinese knockoff available on ebay. personally i dont trust them but i was just giving OP a price perspective
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #10
Dabble Inn
Gone Wild
 
Dabble Inn's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 854
Default Re: 1994 or 95 Marathon, Was running poorly now not running

Just for the point/counterpoint thing, how do we really know the dealer carb isn't actually a cheapie chinese knockoff with a nice sweet big dealer markup? I'd rather pay $80 too for a real OEM but I'd have to be convinced it is what it is first, Just sayin'
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1995.ezgo, marathon gas, not running
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
G-9 running poorly Gas Yamaha
95 club car running poorly Gas Club Car
EZGO TXT ARCING SPARK, Running Poorly Gas EZGO
G1 Running poorly? Gas Yamaha
Poorly running Yamaha Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.