lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Carryall 1 - Lots of pics/questions

Picked up a gas carryall 1 yesterday. I bought it sight unseen, and was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up. Needs a little cleaning up but will be a good project for me. Looks like it got driven in some salt, most of the steel pieces on the motor and all of the steel hardware has lots of surface rust.

Going in order of my pictures I have several questions I'm sure guys can answer that have owned these:

1. Pic of carryall

2. Battery has this rubber coated bar that appears to be something that held the battery in place? I tried to circle it, I am under the assumption that when they put a new wal-mart battery in, it wasn't the right size and this is why this bar seems to be in the way/ not doing anything?

3. is a picture of the back of the choke button. On my DS it was actually attached to a cable. This has nothing, just sticks through the body and the air box slides over it? Shouldn't there be cable? I feel like I am missing something. (more on airbox next)

4. Theres a gap between the battery and the airbox. I am not entirely sure if there should be something that holds it up (maybe in the area where I circled?) because right now it seems to just flop around and i'm sure it will fall off where it attaches to the choke if I hit a bump (though I plan on putting a hose clamp over it to help hold it there.

5. in the cab on the drivers side there is this black metal piece bolted there, that resembles a hip restraint but it is missing the third side (my best guess). You can see where a piece was cut out on each end, just curious if that is what this piece is. I could see how itwas in the way to climb in and out of the cab, so probably why it got removed if I had to guess. Just wanted to see if anybody knew what it was.

More questions in the next post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carryall1.jpg (165.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg battery.jpg (75.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg choke.jpg (66.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg airbox.jpg (69.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg armrest.jpg (74.0 KB, 0 views)
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Carryall 1 - Lots of pics/questions

The first two pictures are of the Headlights / taillights. Can anyone confirm that these are factory lights from club car? they have plastic lenses and wires have been fixed/cut/rigged up at every corner. I am fine with replacing them as the wires are a rats nest beneath the seat anyways. i just want to confirm I can replace them with LEDs and not have to do any body cutting (or that aftermarket leds will fit).

In my previous carryall thread, I was told that carryalls would take any DS light kit. I'm not sure what factory DS light kits look like since my DS had some weird kit on it when I bought it. As I stated, I don't think I'm going to mess with this mess thats already on the cart.

The second pics are of the switches on the floor. Left switch is the horn, but I need help identifying the right switch. It is metal, and looks like a headlight dimmer switch from old pickup trucks. This one doesnt return every time (i'm attributing to rust), but I wasn't sure if carts ever came with dimmer switches. Seems odd for a cart, but its the only thing I can think of that it would be. The other picture is the back of the metal floor switch, in case that helps anyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlights.jpg (112.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg taillights.jpg (114.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg floor switch.jpg (88.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg floorswitchback.jpg (61.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You got a bonafide fire hazard where that battery bar is.
That looks like a group 58 battery maybe? It should be a group 70 and then the bar will fit over the top the way it's supposed to.

The air filter box should have a rubber strap going across the top to hold it down. I'm not sure if you can get those new, but a proper sized bungee cord should work to hold the air box in place.
The choke button blocks off part of the opening where the air gets into the air filter box. You press the button, and it chokes the box. There should be a big O-ring in the end of the air box to seal it to the back of the choke button tube. If the O-ring is gone, try using 1/4" round gap foam insulation as a replacement. Again, not sure of the original o-ring is still available.
When the air box is properly installed it works very well.

Used to be a hip restraint, yes. I'm not sure why they went to the bother to cut the thing. It takes all of 2 minutes to just unbolt it.

Factory lights, Yes. equipped with high and low beam filaments. Not the greatest lights in the world, but kinda nifty for a golf cart. There are now LED kits that replace those lights that are the factory style. The Factory lights have a larger cut-out than aftermarket versions so if you do replace them be sure to get the ones that are designed to replace the factory style.
There are replacement LED tail lights just like the ones you have, but the flush mount lights included in most light kits will also fit. You may have to trim the recessed holes out for them to sit perfectly flat.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You got a bonafide fire hazard where that battery bar is.
That looks like a group 58 battery maybe? It should be a group 70 and then the bar will fit over the top the way it's supposed to.

The air filter box should have a rubber strap going across the top to hold it down. I'm not sure if you can get those new, but a proper sized bungee cord should work to hold the air box in place.
The choke button blocks off part of the opening where the air gets into the air filter box. You press the button, and it chokes the box. There should be a big O-ring in the end of the air box to seal it to the back of the choke button tube. If the O-ring is gone, try using 1/4" round gap foam insulation as a replacement. Again, not sure of the original o-ring is still available.
When the air box is properly installed it works very well.

Used to be a hip restraint, yes. I'm not sure why they went to the bother to cut the thing. It takes all of 2 minutes to just unbolt it.

Factory lights, Yes. equipped with high and low beam filaments. Not the greatest lights in the world, but kinda nifty for a golf cart. There are now LED kits that replace those lights that are the factory style. The Factory lights have a larger cut-out than aftermarket versions so if you do replace them be sure to get the ones that are designed to replace the factory style.
There are replacement LED tail lights just like the ones you have, but the flush mount lights included in most light kits will also fit. You may have to trim the recessed holes out for them to sit perfectly flat.
Awesome thanks.
That battery is brand new, I'm guessing they ran to wal mart and got the closest one. Any idea on the CCA or size for a battery for this thing?

I'm going to figure out the lights situation... one of them doesn't have the "plug" in the back (the piece you pop out and put the bulb in), and each headlight has 4 or 5 wires coming out of the loom with various ends replaced /cut/ etc. I'm not sure why 5 wires would need to come to the headlights unless it is because of the high/low beams? The tail lights are still plugged in but don't work. I'm not sure why but it looks like it has brake lights going off the switch on the pedal, but doesn't have turn signals?!

thinking it will be easier and have better lights if I just replace the whole thing. Then I can tidy up the wires underneath by the battery.

Thanks for the heads up on the headlight size too, I thought they looked way bigger than some of the kits I was seeing.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm guessign some carryall guys will poke their heads in here... any opinion of a 4" vs a 6" lift? I dont think I want to go Spindle lift because I've heard of tracking while driving and snapping spindles.

my 6" SGC lift on my DS was fine, just had to cut / weld an extension in the bar that adjusted the toe in because it was too short. the lift itself was plenty high, not too high but I think Id rather go with a 4" this time. the 6" made it easy to do wheelies on my DS but thats not something I need to do nor liked doing much because it would come down hard.

the problem being that a 4" from allsports is another $150. Debating if it is worth the extra money quality wise.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
Awesome thanks.
That battery is brand new, I'm guessing they ran to wal mart and got the closest one. Any idea on the CCA or size for a battery for this thing?
It should be a Group 70. I think Club car Spec is 450CCA minimum. Most batteries should be over 500. The Deka brand ones I buy are 550CCA I think.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Greetings Nwocart.

Looks like you got a nice unit. There are many sources for parts break down available on the web. I have downloaded these on my desktop so I have a quick reference to exploded parts diagrams. These images have accompanying part numbers. This reference is very is helpful as you can compare DS and carryall parts by number. Also super helpful to understand if something is missing or incorrect. I rely on these downloads constantly for a better understanding. I cross reference years and models. I have found that carts of this age( I have several) may have been molested and adulterated by previous owners whether intentionally or not. Having this reference available just to find out if a bolt is SAE or metric can save lots of time and future problems.

good luck

Al
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

All sports lift kits are very highly regarded here. Plus they might be the only place that has lift kits in the U.S. right now, since pretty much all of the others are Chinese...
Which lift you get depends if you have front brakes or not. If you have front brakes then only certain kits will accommodate those, unless you want to remove them.
No front brakes then you can go with whatever you choose. It's the same kit as a DS, just be sure to order the kit that matches your year range.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyAl View Post
Greetings Nwocart.

Looks like you got a nice unit. There are many sources for parts break down available on the web. I have downloaded these on my desktop so I have a quick reference to exploded parts diagrams. These images have accompanying part numbers. This reference is very is helpful as you can compare DS and carryall parts by number. Also super helpful to understand if something is missing or incorrect. I rely on these downloads constantly for a better understanding. I cross reference years and models. I have found that carts of this age( I have several) may have been molested and adulterated by previous owners whether intentionally or not. Having this reference available just to find out if a bolt is SAE or metric can save lots of time and future problems.

good luck

Al

I found a parts breakdown yesterday , but it tells me almost nothing about the headlight situation. Has been helpful though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #10
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
All sports lift kits are very highly regarded here. Plus they might be the only place that has lift kits in the U.S. right now, since pretty much all of the others are Chinese...
Which lift you get depends if you have front brakes or not. If you have front brakes then only certain kits will accommodate those, unless you want to remove them.
No front brakes then you can go with whatever you choose. It's the same kit as a DS, just be sure to order the kit that matches your year range.

No front brakes do you know if there is anything different regarding the rear ends? While searching BGW I found a thread referencing a carryall rear end change in 1996 and that certain lift kits wouldn’t fit depending on if they were before or after the rear end change.

Having said that, I see SGC kits are OOS everywhere , but one place said they’d be available mid July.

Another weird issue I have been having is that my steering is "sticking" or "catching."

for example when i leave the steerign wheel in the same position for several seconds (wide turn, or driving straight down the road), when I turn the wheel again it goes a little bit then catches. Its enough that it startled me the first time it happened because I thought it locked up. Now that I'm prepared for it I just force the wheel past the catch. Im guessing something in the steering box / column or whatever is under there might be broken. I'm sure theres a couple bearings in there and u joints towards the bottom of the steering column
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car