lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
Kevin061686
Not Yet Wild

Default 77 EZGO cuts out when hot

Hi all, I recently bought this 3 wheel ezgo and I am learning as I go. I did the top end rebuild and runs good (other than some backfiring when decelerating) but I am playing with the cable to fix that. My main issue is when the cart warms up, it cuts out, just dies like when turning off the key. Gas flows fine, I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and it does not appear to be fuel related. That leads me to the electrical. I have cleaned and inspected all leads, replaced some dicey wiring, however it will run fine, than reach a point and cut out. My two main suspects are the coil or points / condensor. Its a 244cc 2PG, so I have no clue how to replace and/or check the points and condensor? Any manuals or you tube videos to recommend? How can I test the coil, I have pulled the plug and the spark seems fine when stalling. I appreciate the help!
Kevin061686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 77 EZGO cuts out when hot

Try the two manuals that I uploaded here. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-marathon.html
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Kevin061686
Not Yet Wild

Thank you!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Coils are known to fail once warmed up and then work again once its cooled off keep a plug wrench handy and drive around until it dies and pull the plug and see if there is any spark this will rule it if it's fuel or ignition related for sure
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #5
Kevin061686
Not Yet Wild

Thank you! Great tip! I suspect its the coil myself. Even when I can't start it, I still get fuel from the pump when I crank it over.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Another thing I forgot to mention is toss a new spark plug in it iv seen fouled plugs do goofy things before
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Kevin061686
Not Yet Wild

Another good tip. I put a new NGK in when I did the top end rebuild. I cleaned and checked all my wires and made sure my grounds were on bare metal. I replaced some sketchy wiring too. I thought it was the coil. So that is my next replacement. I suspected maybe the condenser and / or points, but since the coil is a heck of a lot easier (although not cheaper) to get at versus the points and condenser. I figured I'd give that the first shot. I also got a new spark plug wire too, however the old coil has a screw on boot plug where it connects to the coil and not a standard rubber boot. Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2023, 01:19 PM   #8
JTmoney065
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention is toss a new spark plug in it iv seen fouled plugs do goofy things before
So I know this is a super old thread. But did the coil fix your issue? My 77 is doing the same thing.
JTmoney065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmoney065 View Post
So I know this is a super old thread. But did the coil fix your issue? My 77 is doing the same thing.
Most "cuts out when warm" issues are, in fact, electrical in nature. Unfortunately, there isn't always an easy and sure fire way to test electrical components. Start with the small stuff and work your way up. Try a new plug, inspect an clean all wiring associated with the ignition circuit, new points / condenser, then coil. Sometimes, process of elimination is better than bench testing old stuff.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO