lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Navitas for RXV - Anything to watch out for?

I have a 2012 RXV with a Curtis controller but its just too slow. 13MPH Max. It cannot keep up with my other carts and we often find ourselves waiting for this slow poke.

I got a good deal, I bought it from someone in my community that sold their house quicker than expected and the new owner didn’t want to buy the cart. The previous owner bought it used from a Golf Cart dealer which most likely came off a Golf Course lease. They refurbished the cart, new wheels, new batteries, new body, the motor and electrical system looks to be in great condition. Rides like a great cart.

I have been trying to justify that $1000 is worth a few more extra MPH and never could. I won my office box pool and it more than covers the cost of the Navitas controller and upgraded cables.

I am ready to pull the trigger but are there any side effects I should be concerned with. I plan to lock it at 17 mph like my other carts. My 15 year old daughter will be the main driver of this cart but once in a while I’d like to hop in and crank it to 20-22mph just to pull ahead of some other carts that keep copying everything I do to my carts.

I understand Range will be affected.
But am I prematurely burning any other parts / motor?

Can I **** up this installation. It’s seems somewhat plug and play.

Last anyone know where I can get a decent deal on the controller and cables?
Thanks for your help.
localbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
rraquib
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Navitas for RXV - Anything to watch out for?

Curious question. Shouldn't the freedom mode on the Curtis controller get you 19.5 mph?
rraquib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Agree with rraquib. Dealer can adjust speed to 19.5 mph on the stock 18" tall tires. Dealer has to purchase the equipment so there will be a fee. Typically $100-150. Electronic key sets speed at 17.5 mph and then hand held scanner releases the extra 2 mph. If you put 20" tall tires on (no lift required) you're at 22+ mph and the cart will hold most of that going up hills with in reason.

Navitas controller eliminates all that and allows speeds of 27-28 mph on stock tires and 30+ on 20" tires. Also offers the option of reduced performance modes for kids, drunks, untrustworthy relatives or whatever. but $$$.

Last option is stock controller tuning offering top speeds of 32 mph on 20" tires and fine tuning of acceleration and regen braking for way less money than Navitas. This is geographically dependent and offered by a member of this board. May be an option for you depending on where you are and if you want to pursue this. This option doesn't include custom driver settings.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraquib View Post
Curious question. Shouldn't the freedom mode on the Curtis controller get you 19.5 mph?
I was told that my year 2012 Curtis doesn’t allow for the freedom update later years do. I had a shop try and help me and he pointed me to this board. I recall there was a guy Bob that was doing some work but I read he stopped offering the mail in service as was only doing local or trips.
localbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by localbar View Post
I was told that my year 2012 Curtis doesn’t allow for the freedom update later years do. I had a shop try and help me and he pointed me to this board. I recall there was a guy Bob that was doing some work but I read he stopped offering the mail in service as was only doing local or trips.
Never heard that before. My 2012 with Curtis has had both the "freedom mode" set by the dealer and later Bob Boyce tune up.
You are correct that Bob doesn't do mail in anymore but will still do it in person which is why your location is important.

2012 was a change over year. Early carts had a Danaher controller and later Curtis. All are able to be "programed for "freedom mode". Bob only does Curtis.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
BCLII
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Agree with rraquib. Dealer can adjust speed to 19.5 mph on the stock 18" tall tires. Dealer has to purchase the equipment so there will be a fee. Typically $100-150. Electronic key sets speed at 17.5 mph and then hand held scanner releases the extra 2 mph. If you put 20" tall tires on (no lift required) you're at 22+ mph and the cart will hold most of that going up hills with in reason.

Navitas controller eliminates all that and allows speeds of 27-28 mph on stock tires and 30+ on 20" tires. Also offers the option of reduced performance modes for kids, drunks, untrustworthy relatives or whatever. but $$$.

Last option is stock controller tuning offering top speeds of 32 mph on 20" tires and fine tuning of acceleration and regen braking for way less money than Navitas. This is geographically dependent and offered by a member of this board. May be an option for you depending on where you are and if you want to pursue this. This option doesn't include custom driver settings.
Which Navitas controller would be best for a stock replacement on a 2016 RXV Freedom to achieve that performance?
Thanks
BCLII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLII View Post
Which Navitas controller would be best for a stock replacement on a 2016 RXV Freedom to achieve that performance?
Thanks
Why waste all your money when your present controller will do that. All it needs is to be reprogrammed.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLII View Post
Thanks
You should contact Navitas for recommendations for your specific situation. Also you can and should start your own thread if you desire to hear about other user experiences with them. There are multiple people who have done the Navitas conversion on this board.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
You should contact Navitas for recommendations for your specific situation. Also you can and should start your own thread if you desire to hear about other user experiences with them. There are multiple people who have done the Navitas conversion on this board.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
BCLII
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Why waste all your money when your present controller will do that. All it needs is to be reprogrammed.
Thanks, just seems to be very limited resources that can reprogram units!
BCLII is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO