lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Csimpler
Not Yet Wild

Default OBC eliminatiom

Have a 2000 CC DS. Been reading about eliminating the OBC and replacing the charger with a smart charger. I did a frame off restoration over the winter so I am familiar with the wiring. There's a lot of wires connected to the OBC, what happens to all of them?

Thanks
Curtis
Csimpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: OBC eliminatiom

I was wondering the same, maybe Scottyb can chime in!
I'd like to remove mine to make room.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

They go away.

Unplug connector and remove OBC. I put some tape on the cart side of the connectors just to keep out debris.

Main negative goes straight to the controller.
Main negative straight to the charge receptacle too
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
They go away.

Unplug connector and remove OBC. I put some tape on the cart side of the connectors just to keep out debris.

Main negative goes straight to the controller.
Main negative straight to the charge receptacle too
Don't you also need to provide a wire from the solenoid coil to the Battery or Controller Negative ?
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Yes solenoid negative to b-
Old 07-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
Joe Fetterhoff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I purchased a Pro Charging system that I want to mount right on a Club Car. the club Car is a 48 volt and the charger is a 48 volt 18 amp charger. Eagle Performance Series # 4818OB. I talked to a representative from Pro Charging Systems and he told me that all I had to do was land the black wire from the charger to the negative side of the battering string and the white wire to the positive side. He said that I did not need to disconnect the on board computer. Does anyone out there have any experiance doing this? I would think that I would need to disconnect the OBC since it is what controls the charging system now. Thanks, Joe
Joe Fetterhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

That should work as you aren't using any of the components that utilize the obc.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

To explain it a little further - the OBC controls the charging only in as much as it controls the on/off relay. Chew on that for a moment ..... It does this through the gray wire at the back of the charge receptacle.
Any Smart charger with a round CC plug is not going to be using the (3rd) gray wire terminal. It will use only the (+) and (-) charge connections. You just need to insure that these 2 leads go to the battery pack (+) and (-) main terminals.

Charger (+) to main (+) is already installed.
There are 2 options for the (-) charge lead.

This is option #1
Currently the black (-) charge lead goes to the OBC and then to the main (-) by way of controller B-. You can cut and reroute this wire to the battery pack. This will allow the charger to charge the pack but in some cases OBC Solenoid activation and other functions may be lost.(OBC functions vary by year and generation) If you cut the charge lead to OBC you may have to re supply solenoid (-) activation wire from controller B- or main (-).

Option 2
Splice a new charge lead from battery main (-) into the existing Black (-) charge lead going from the receptacle to the OBC. Adding this charge route (10g) wire allows the charger to charge, read, and float the pack & allows the OBC to retain all of its other functions.

PDI Diversified Power International no longer supports the OBC bypass. This is a policy change. The chargers will continue to work the same as they always have. I would be happy to hear anything that can be added to or corrected in the info above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Excel OBC.jpg (57.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IQ (early) OBC.jpg (60.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't want to start another OBC war, so I will just say that if the charger is being replaced because the OBC is no longer functioning properly, the entire functionality of the OBC should be by-passed.

The method used by the OBC to tell the cart when the charger is plugged has changed thru the years, the negative to solenoid will only work on the years where the negative side of the solenoid went directly to the OBC.

On Precedents and newer models where the solenoid negative comes from the Controller, the OBC provides a positive signal that needs to be supplied to the controller to indicate the charger is not plugged.

2010 Precedent:
The Blue wire needs to be connected to the Red wire on the OBC connector. You can just cut the cables on the OBC side of the 6 pin Deutsch connector and wire them together.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thank you Sergio
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car