lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Generator 101

The cart was "Factory Fresh" when I started working on it. It had been running that way since it rolled off of the CC Assembly line (just kidding). At least as far back as when I purchased it used. I am going to put the jumper cables to it again this afternoon and do the ohms testing again to double check everything.
I checked the cost locally to "rebuild" the generator. One electric motor repair shop I have recently and successfully done business with doesn't want to touch it. OK. A second shop, recommended by the first, said "$100.00/hour and No Free Estimates". I will bad-mouth them until the cows come home. A BRAND NEW GENERATOR off of e-Bay, shipped to me, is $135.00.

I am still not quite sure that the generator is the problem, unless tonight's testing verifies all previous tests. I will report findings.
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With prices like that he has to make it all in one job.
I do not understand how some places stay open?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #23
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, this should clear up your doubt.
I made a little test video.
I can't upload it to buggies because it is a .mov file, so I uploaded it here...
http://jimmccall.com/clubcar/test.mov
just watch this demo, if you are worried about some other switch causing a problem. I am not saying you might not have another problem too, but, the starter should do this...
it's 20+ meg and my server is not real fast, so, you may have to wait a minute or two for download.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #24
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Movie downloaded, Quicktime downloaded and installed, video watched. I see what you mean. Could you have also performed that test with the Field wire connected? That is what I tried (I think) with generator in the cart and field wire connected.

Now it is out of the cart. I should be able to get it to run with jumpers directly from the battery to the generator poles, but the generator is DEAD.

I retested the generator components last night. Results were all the same except F1-F2 is shorted (no continuity "...a possible open field coil or bad connections at terminals...").

The test instructions say to take it to a "qualified" repairman. I am thinking a new generator, but will keep my options open.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

yes, could have tested with field connected, makes no difference.
hey, if your going to buy new anyway, take the old one apart, you can't hurt it & it might just be a broken wire at a terminal that you could solder or re-connect. If you do, put a dab of grease on the bearings on the ends when you put it back together. not too much, it could end up on the brushes which is bad.
good luck, let us know what happens
Old 06-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #26
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good suggestion. I thought of that last night and started to take it apart. End bolts out, tapping hammer, gently separating parts, etc. When I realized that the external generator pulley has to be removed from the keyed shaft and I do not have a 1 & 5/16" or larger open end wrench to hold the inner shaft nut while unscrewing the outer nut, I secured from disassembly. **** that reads badly...
Old 06-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #27
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hmm, take the belt, wrap it around the pully and hold firmly with leather gloves & take your impact wrench to the nut on the end, you should be able to apply several quick blasts and spin it off.
umm, unless you are impact-less (lol) and then you may have an issue. However, you may want to check before ordering because the way things have been going with some types of parts lately, they may not include the pulley with the generator and you may have to change it anyway. not likely, but, you never know these days.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

The generator I referred to at $135.00 comes pulley-less. So, being impactless, I need to purchase some new tools! Oh Yeah! Maybe hand tools to complement my growing set. Or, bite the bullet and get the big hoss 5 HP compressor, the impact wrench, AND an impact socket set. Oh My! This cart repair is starting to look like an investment. I am NOT opening a cart shop when this is over, but am feeling like I am gaining monumental experience in that direction.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #29
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

no, no, no, your looking at it the wrong way! Go buy that $1800., 80 gal commercial air compressor and that IR 2135 titanium impact wrench that is on sale some place now for only $290. and while your at it, get that Snap On set of impact sockets. Heck, get the deep well set, the standard set and the universal set too! These opportunity's to "invest" in good tools don't present themselves that often. You sure wouldn't want to have to pay someone to do work you can do if only you had the right tools... Just think of all those tools you can buy with that money you give someone else to do the work for you...

If you have a wife/girlfriend, please make sure you don't tell her where you got these great ideas...
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

ROFLMAO - good ideas and SAGE advice (re: wife/girlfriend).

Called a Cart Dealer/Parts/Repair place locally. They want $199.00 + tax for the generator and another $40.00 for the pulley! Looking at this Site's Sponsor parts prices, the local guy is right in line for OEM new.

I am going for brushes. Talked to the Repair guy in Orlando where I bought the heavy duty springs. He instructs not to remove the generator pulley; to release the old brushes; to remove the armature housing for a look at the groove in the armature (hope for none) and a wiggle of the bearing there; replace bearing if necessary (how to know if necessary?); replace armature end of housing; replace brushes; connect generator to battery and verify it runs; replace generator in cart; hook cables to correct posts; attach belt; tighten up; and AWAY WE GO!

Now, if it is only that "easy".

Here are a few interesting stickers found on eBay that are good for a giggle...
Attached Images
File Type: gif GolfCartSticker.gif (40.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: gif GolfCartSticker[2].gif (37.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif GolfCartSticker[3].gif (37.5 KB, 5 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car