lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
DMHixon
Not Yet Wild

Default Broken Dipstick Inside Engine

Well I've really screwed the pooch this time.
Went to change the sparkplug on our TXT L6 EZGO Express Shuttle, 2016.
Had to remove the oil cap/dipstick to get the old sparkplug out and new one in. I replaced the sparkplug, popped on the spark plug boot and must not have fully seated the oil cap/dipstick. Though I can't be certain. I started the motor and immediately noticed it did not sound right, like scraping.
Did not drive more than a few feet, checked my work and noticed the oil cap/dipstick not fully seated in the motor AND noticed that the bottom part of the dipstick is missing. I fear that a part of the dipstick is now lodged either in the engine itself, but do not have a good enough understanding of where it might be or how best to retrieve it. Remove oil pan?
Any advice, insight, suggestion would be much appreciated. Hoping I can take care of this myself, but not opposed to loading this thing up and having a professional take a look.
Pics of my mess included. :0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6499.jpg (9.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6500.jpg (13.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6501.jpg (14.1 KB, 0 views)
DMHixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Broken Dipstick Inside Engine

Magnet in the oil drain plug hole?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well lucky for you there's no oil pan to take off. They sell a cheap borescope camera on amazon that has Led lights & a magnet for retrieving lost items. It plugs into your android phone, tablet or windows laptop. I have one I got for $13, and i really like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200523_135017.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Seen that many times, and its because the dip stick was put back in the wrong way.
You can try to fish it out....good luck.

You can pull the motor, and Ill for warn you....hardest motor to pull out. You could drop that cart off a cliff and that motor wont come out of there.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
Ezgo321
Not Yet Wild

I had the same problem, I tried a magnet, I tried a camera. With no luck. I pulled the motor put it on my work bench gave it a few pretty good shakes and small hits off the bench before I pulled the clutch and the side cover. I got lucky and it came loose from wherever it was living I was able to see it through the drain plug hole and retrieve it that way.
Ezgo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pull the valve cover (4 bolts) and see if you can find it. I have successfully fished for one of those that way. As Golf cart guy suggested, the owner had tried to put the dipstick back in backwards. Only goes in properly one way. Have to pay attention to the shape of the handle on the end.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO