lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
richard3529
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Looking to upgrade to a 23 HP Vanguard

I have a 2004 EZ-GO TXT with a Robins 295 engine. I came across a Vanguard 23 HP. It has a Performance V-Twins manifold and Mikuni carb. Engine appears to run good. I plan on putting it in the EZ-GO. Will it fit with this set up and what do I need beside a craddle. exhaust and throttle cable? I know I will have to change the wiring. This question probably has been asked a number of times but I couldn't find the thread.
richard3529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Kustrud
Gone Wild

Default Re: Looking to upgrade to a 23 HP Vanguard

Ill use my new-found knowledge from these guys and help ya out.....You need the Vegas Carts Cradle (Or make your own if you can), New clutch (or adapter from Vegas or CPP to use yours but everyone will tell you to order the new clutch - if you use yours you will have the cut down the crank and tap it on your new motor), exhaust (if the one on there doesn't fit nicely), wiring (you'll need to rewire more going to a v-twin, mount the ignition, etc. how you like), throttle cables and shift linkage might need some fab, new drive belt as you will most likely need a different length than you have, also I believe there is a little something to hooking up your fuel tank/pump but I do not know - someone can chime in on that, and that should get you covered for the most of it and a general idea of what's involved. You can also read through my recent thread - "Wanna go Big Block."
Kustrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

clutch, cradle and wiring , along with some exhaust fab , most times throttle cable is a simple fab up no really much , personally i like the cpp cradle over the vegas carts one though. cpp actually sells a whole kit to make this an almost plug and play setup no need to guess
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You will likely convert to a key start, so you need a key like a riding mower has with off/on/(acc if you want)/start positions. Get the right one for a B&S with a mag ignition this one will ground when off. You can of course use an on/off or kill switch and a start button. You don't need much of the cart wiring you can use the power to the existing switch for your switch, need a ground, wire to the engine, not much else. You have to wire the starter to the battery you can usually use the old gen cables, and can hook your charge wire from the VR into that hot there.

Unless you want to keep the pedal start that is another project you need a stock clutch or pulley for behind your new clutch, and need to make sure you have room to mount the gen with your mount, but most don't go that way with a 23hp.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
richard3529
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the input. I had planned on using the CPP engine mount but was going to ask about differences between the Vegas vs CPP mount. The engine does have a key switch on the cover so may just move it to the dash. I have two events planned for this month so I will be making the conversion after Halloween. I will start gathering the mount, exhaust and clutch up between now and then. Are there any suggestions on the exhaust. I want it to sound good but also keep the noise down.
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I think the TXT engine mount from Vegas Carts looks beefier.

http://www.vegascarts.com/product-p/ezm02.htm

https://www.cartpartsplus.com/perfor...engine-carrier

Probably either one is stout enough, knowing their reputations. Both good companies with good products.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I recently installed a 23 hp Vanguard kit form CPP in a Yamaha G2. I love it, no problems at all. 10 years ago I installed an 18 hp Vanguard kit from CPP in a G9 no problems or issues, this engine is still running strong. Just make sure to install a rev kit in these engines.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
richard3529
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I received my engine cradle today from CPP. Very quick shipment, I just ordered Monday afternoon. still have to decide on the exhaust and clutch. I plan on starting the upgrade in Noverber. Is anyone running the Vanguard with a Mikuni carb? Not sure on the throttle cable clearance since it comes out of the top of the carb.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

To run a single mikuni type carb you'll need a special intake, i've seen them....kinda pricey.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

They make manifolds to run a mikuni to each cylinder.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!