lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008.5 CC Precedent 4-12v conversion to 6-8v?

Hello again folks,

My neighbors and I bought (6) 2008.5 Precedents a few months ago (run/tow is in the back on all of them).
  • 5 of them came with (6) 8v T875 Trojans (S/N Prefix=PQ0848-985xxx)
  • 1 of them came with (4) 12v US Batteries (S/N Prefix=PQ0846-982xxx)

3/4 of the 12v US Batteries are leaking at the positive post. If it needs new batteries, the thinking is why not go with 8v batteries? From what I've read, the charger, controller, etc would all work fine, and we would need a different set of battery cables. The unknown is the battery tray. It looks like the battery tray is setup for 8v, but was hoping someone could help confirm.

So here's our questions:
  • Will the existing charger, onboard controller, and other electronics support the 6-8v batts?
  • Will the 2008.5 precedent battery tray which currently holds 4-12v batts support 6-8v batts?
  • Is anything else needed for the conversion besides the cables and the battery hold downs?
  • Where is the suggested place to buy the cables for the 6-8v and the battery hold downs?

Thank you in advance!
-Ed
FastEddieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 2008.5 CC Precedent 4-12v conversion to 6-8v?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieG View Post
Hello again folks,

My neighbors and I bought (6) 2008.5 Precedents a few months ago (run/tow is in the back on all of them). All Precedents are Sepex-drive and will have Tow/Run switches.

• 5 of them came with (6) 8v T875 Trojans (S/N Prefix=PQ0848-985xxx)
  • 1 of them came with (4) 12v US Batteries (S/N Prefix=PQ0846-982xxx)

3/4 of the 12v US Batteries are leaking at the positive post. If it needs new batteries, the thinking is why not go with 8v batteries? From what I've read, the charger, controller, etc would all work fine, and we would need a different set of battery cables. The unknown is the battery tray. It looks like the battery tray is setup for 8v, but was hoping someone could help confirm.

So here's our questions:
  • Will the existing charger, onboard controller, and other electronics support the 6-8v batts? Charger, Yes Onboard computer, possibly, depends on which version it is. There should be a pink sticker on the OBC that indicates the software version it is equipped with. For examble "v4.0" will be on the sticker somewhere towards the bottom. Everything else in the electrical system is fully compatible with both battery configurations
  • Will the 2008.5 precedent battery tray which currently holds 4-12v batts support 6-8v batts? Yes
  • Is anything else needed for the conversion besides the cables and the battery hold downs? If the Onboard computer is a compatible software version, all you'll need are cables and battery hold downs

• Where is the suggested place to buy the cables for the 6-8v and the battery hold downs? From a Buggiesgonewild site sponsor. Some of the guys on here might have some suggestions on where you could pick up these items.

Thank you in advance!
-Ed
I answered all of your questions in Red text.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Call David for cables and other parts you might need like battery hold downs etc.

His number is on his web site. He answered your questions.

Pretty good ole boy.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Call David for cables and other parts you might need like battery hold downs etc.

Pretty good ole boy.
Thank you sir.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I answered all of your questions in Red text. (snip)
Will the existing charger, onboard controller, and other electronics support the 6-8v batts? Charger, Yes Onboard computer, possibly, depends on which version it is. There should be a pink sticker on the OBC that indicates the software version it is equipped with. For examble "v4.0" will be on the sticker somewhere towards the bottom. Everything else in the electrical system is fully compatible with both battery configurations
(snip)
Thank you! It does say v4.0 as seen in the pic below. I read in another thread that a BGW member found in an installation manual that it shows the same CC part number for 12 volt to 8 volt conversion (#103446601 OBC Precedent V4.0) which is what this is. Does this mean for this cart we can take the 4-12v batts out and replace with 6-8v batts with the proper cables and hold downs? Thanks in advance!

For other newbies reading this, I found the pictured sticker on the controller panel (on the rear of the cart) inside the battery box. On our 2008.5 it was below the run/tow switch.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post

Pretty good ole boy.
Thanks for the referral. I will definitely be supporting site sponsors when needs arise. And with this need, I'll be calling him specifically :)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Yep you're good to rock n roll with the 4.0 OBC. It'll work with either battery setup.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again for the info/guidance, TahoeDawg! And thanks for assisting with ordering the battery cables and hold downs from your store!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieG View Post
Thanks again for the info/guidance, TahoeDawg! And thanks for assisting with ordering the battery cables and hold downs from your store!
You're very welcome sir. I just emailed you a tracking number.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car