lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
bdd012
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 TXT Constant valve adjustment

I have a txt that has the usual valve adjustment issues which causes my plugs to foul and poor running. I adjusted the valves, and it ran great, had very little run time, I am guessing half hour over a month period. I was using it to spray weeds around the property, so very slow speeds and constant starting and stopping. About 15 minutes of that and I lost all power, by this I mean would turn over but would not go anywhere in forward or reverse but engine would rev high in neutral. Let it cool, checked valves again and had two that were out of adjustment and fouled plugs. I guess my question is, what causes valves to get out of adjustment that fast...just bad valves in general? Need to replace them? TIA
bdd012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 TXT Constant valve adjustment

The intake valves are known to pull into head . You can take a took under valve cover. You will see more threads on two middle valves adjustment which are the intakes. If it don't smoke then you might be good by just replacing the two intakes.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'm guessing the 2 valves out if adjustment t are the 2 middle intake valves. If so, replace them. They're shot like trig said.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
bdd012
Not Yet Wild

Ok I am going to replace them. You’re right, they are the middle too. Any suggestion on what valves to get? Didn’t know if one website or company made better valves than the another. Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd012 View Post
Ok I am going to replace them. You’re right, they are the middle too. Any suggestion on what valves to get? Didn’t know if one website or company made better valves than the another. Thanks guys!
The best price. I have bought from several places and couldn't tell the difference. I actually had an EZGO dealer tell me they bought aftermarket ones.
I would replace the seal in head , valve seals , timing belt and of course head gasket. Put it back and drive it
Old 06-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
bdd012
Not Yet Wild

ok...valves were replaced as well as seals, springs, timing belt and head gasket. Ran it about 50 yards and parked it. Did what I had to do and jumped back in and lost most of my power. Ran it down the road a little and lost even more power. Pulled the plugs and they are fouled bad. I was wondering if maybe my coil is going, i had a similar problem in my boat. When it got hot it would short out. I would have to let it cool until it would work again. any ideas? very annoying especially after you spend some money and time replacing valves for it to still have a problem. However the valves were in bad shape and needed to be changed out, so it wasn't for nothing.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Personally I wouldn't think the coil would be bad. Is this the original carburetor ?
What is your compression now that you have replaced those intakes ?
Did you put two new plugs in after this work ?
How did it run when you first completed the job ?
Old 06-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
bdd012
Not Yet Wild

It’s not the original carb, I bought an eBay replacement a couple years back before my rebuild.
I will be checking compression tomorrow
Plugs were new a couple weeks ago. Cleaned up and replaced after the valve job.
It ran really well for about 30 seconds. Then lost power, I am assuming due to the fouled plugs
Old 06-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd012 View Post
It’s not the original carb, I bought an eBay replacement a couple years back before my rebuild.
I will be checking compression tomorrow
Plugs were new a couple weeks ago. Cleaned up and replaced after the valve job.
It ran really well for about 30 seconds. Then lost power, I am assuming due to the fouled plugs
That replacement carb may be your problem. You still got the original ?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
bdd012
Not Yet Wild

No, I threw it out just about a month ago when I moved shops lol. I just ordered another one. Compression is at about 150 on each cylinder
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO