lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #1
Wandyd
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 columbia not firing.

Got a 1989 columbia par car gas. When I got it the key switch wasn't wired correct, traces back the wires got everything wired. Cleaned the carb a bunch of times cause it wasnt getting gas to spark plug.(now it does) compression is 92ish, I have spark. When I turn it over did doesnt core or alteast doesnt seem to be. I blocked the back tires up and the clutch doesnt engage so thinking carts just turning over. If I take the spark plug off and press the gas pedal I can see a mist of gas blowing out is that normal. Not sure what else to check.
Wandyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1989 columbia not firing.

It seems as if you have everything right where it needs to be. 92 psi compression is good. That mist you see coming out of the spark plug hole is good as well as that means you are getting fuel into the cylinder so long as it's not so much that it's flooding.

Are you sure that you are getting consistent spark? When the ignition modules on those carts go bad they will provide a spark or two here or there but too sporadically to lead to a running engine.

If you are sure that you are getting spark then your issue is almost assuredly the crank seals. Crankcase vacuum is critical in that, even though you are getting fuel to the cylinder, crankcase vacuum is needed to get it past that point. I would think that you would get an ignition or two here or though which I why I mentioned double checking your spark consistency. Still bad crank seals can cause many issues on a 2 stroke.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
Wandyd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feed back, i was thinking crankseals. Are they hard to change out?
Old 06-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandyd View Post
Thanks for the feed back, i was thinking crankseals. Are they hard to change out?
They are actually a lot easier on that motor than a lot of others. Personally, I pull the motor as it takes all of about 15 mins to take one of those motors out of the cart. Technically, it can be done with the motor in though.

The rear one is very easy. The hardest part is getting the clutch off for which I just use a large wheel puller. The rear seal is right there. Simply drill a little hole in it and screw in a sheet metal screw. Make sure you don't screw the sheet metal screw in too far though as there is a bearing there. Pull the screw with some vice grips and it will pop right off. Simply tap in the new seal.

The front one is a but more tedious as you have to remove the shroud which can be tough with the motor in the cart. Once it's off you have to remove the fan and the seal will be right there. Same process with the sheet metal screw to pull it out.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Wandyd
Not Yet Wild

Took my intake hose off and gas is flowing back to the air intake so guessing it's a bad float or needle. Ordered a new carb to be sure
Old 06-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandyd View Post
Took my intake hose off and gas is flowing back to the air intake so guessing it's a bad float or needle. Ordered a new carb to be sure
Yeah, try that for sure. To be honest, gas in the air filter often point to the crank seals again. Fuel is making it to the carb ok but there isn't enough vacuum in the case to suck it from the carb into the cylinder for combustion. At that point, the fuel flows through the path of least resistance and that's to the air cleaner.

Tags
1989 columbia
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar