lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Default Vanguard 14HP Rev-Kit - Governor Question

The other day while camping, the governor spring on my 14HP Vanguard broke (going from the governor to the carb). Not having a replacement spring, I pulled the broken one open and pulled though a tie-strap just to keep me going for the weekend.

A simple and temporary fix, BUT what a difference! Engine know revs up quicker - has noticeably more low and mid range torque and of course easily revs beyond 3,600 (it never went over 3,460 before). I have a tach so I'm "foot" limiting the RPM.

With this new found power I will be purchasing a Rev-Kit from Tom to help keep everything solid. But here are a couple setup questions;

* What is the best / proper way to get-around the limiting of the governor? (example - stronger spring between the carb / governor? Eliminate the governor all together?).

* What would be the maximum RPM's suggested for this engine with the Rev kit. I see it suggested 4,500 - it this considered well within the "safe" zone.

* Would there be a way to incorporate the governor to limit RPM's to 4,500?

Thanks guys, you input is valued! If there are some links on this, please forward.
garydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Vanguard 14HP Rev-Kit - Governor Question

I think the idea of the rev kit is to get rid of the governor. One of the steps is to go in and remove the weights from inside. They can fly off at higher rpms and rattle around in the motor. You could adjust your linkage so the butter-fly is not wide open. We used to run a rev-limiter on our race carts. you can set it to cut out at a certan rpm.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 14HP Rev-Kit - Governor Question

Most say the vanguard with a rev kit can hit 6K rpm, I thought all the rev kits were good for that but maybe not? You can get the cam from a 23hp pretty cheap that has more lift. You can try a stiffer spring on the governor, but you are putting more pressure on the mechanism inside also. With some carts that have cables to the pedals if you do that with stock engine the cable breaks a lot sooner because of the pressure. Most take the governor out of the engine and do away with it. If you get a rev kit so the valves don't float they don't have a problem blowing up or anything. They don't have much power at high rpm because the cam is all done up there, its just for top speed. If you only need rpm not that much over stock 3600, more spring is fine on the governor but over 4K I think you might start giving up on that. Maybe others here have done it most just take it out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!