lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
buggyman55
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default power loss on hills

i got my buggy to run, with a new key switch(Thanks, Vintage Cart Parts)
and a new regulator, but it lacks power on hills, even worse with a second rider in the cart. exaust seems clear. any ideas would help.
The gas may be part of the problem(I think it is old), and the belt looks like it is riding fairly deep in the clutch on both sides.
also has a choppy start,could there be something to do with a weak battrey?
Thanks
buggyman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
smkummer
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: power loss on hills

The first thing I would check is the point gap, plug gap and timing. You can check your belt width and if its below the minimum, replacing it will give you a little more top end but may not help with the hills. Low compression engines (pre-1971) recommended 1 oz. of 2 stroke oil to a gal. of gas but it appears all here are running 1.5 oz. of 2 stroke oil to a gal. I error to the safe side and was running 2 oz. per gal with gas that has alcohol in it. Now I found a station that sells no alcohol gasoline so I am back to 1.5 oz. per gal. Check that the carburetor is tight to the manifold. I rebuilt mine but upon taking it off, I discovered that the 2 bolts were loose, so my issue may have been a manifold leak. Mine used to run good only at high speed or very low speed. Now it is very smooth.
smkummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

X2 on the timing.

If your gas is old your carb may need cleaned.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Assuming your cart year to be between 1963 and 1982, ?? I don't think it would be tied to a weak battery once its running, but a charge will fix that. Replacing the fuel, because you say its old would be a good start. As lochlin says , you should check your carburetor, it could be gummed up, . Most all golf cart will lose power/ speed going up hills, it really depends on the grade also. For instants, I have a 74 D model, and it tops out @ 18 mph, on the flat, but blogs down to 11, or 12 mph up most hills. That speed is checked with a Garmin gps. Checking points and plug gaps, are also paramount to a smooth running cart, as suggested by smkummer. I would definitely check the drive belt , measure across the width of the belt, it should be 1 3/16 inches wide, if it is worn below 1 1/8, you should replace it. Good Luck
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have trouble on hills especially when my wife is the passenger. Not sure what the problem is!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

My cart also slows down and even gears down to compensate for hills. With a second rider even worse. One steep hill between the 6th and 7th hole often(not always) needs a little choke to make the crest. I suspect the crank seals will need to be done but for now it remains manageable.

And Tew; I make it a policy to never put into writing that which will become part of any permanent public record, just saying!,
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I don't have any moderate hills where I run my carts, its about 90% flat. I got a few more what I would call 'mounds' that I have driven up and my carts don't seem to have an issue but they are steep enough and small enough I have to hit em slow and usually stop at the top.

Are you running stock size tires? I did help a guy out this summer that had put bigger tires on his cart and wondered why it would not climb hills. I don't remember what size they were but we swapped in a pair off my cart and that proved what the problem was.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The HD cart has around 8 HP (I think) and there is just so much yiu can do with 8 HP. Just make sure everything is in tune and live with it!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

That makes good sense, tew, if you try running it to hard , up the RPMs up steep inclines you may end up with way more motor troubles then you bargained for.
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harley gas cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson