lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Mechanical engineering question.

Out of curiosity, I was trying to figure out how much torque is applied where rubber meets road and ran into a stumbling block.

I know you multiply the torque generated by the motor by the gear ratio of the gears in the differential to get the torque at the axle, but not quite sure of how to calculate what portion of that is transmitted to the tire's footprint.

For example: My motor develops about 10.3HP at 1450RPM (@42V), so it produces about 37.4 ft/lb of torque. The gear ratio is 12.44:1, so there is about 465.2 ft/lb of torque present at the axles, disregarding mechanical losses.

My question is: How much of that torque is applied to the road through tires that are 17" in diameter?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default Re: Mechanical engineering question.

JohnnieB,

I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV.

I'm guessing you're looking for the force that the tire applies to the (for illustration purposes) road.

Is torque the applicable force? I thought torque was the measure of rotational force - a wheel around an axle, a lever at the point of its fulcrum, etc.

If it does apply, wouldn't it be a function of the surface area of the tire's contact with the road and the elasticity of the tire itself (although intuitively, I think you'd eventually get that back as the tire's rubber rebounds from the initial stretch)?

There's a pretty dense discussion of torque on Wikipedia that might shed some light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Just wondering...

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I also am not a mech eng but I do have The Google. I searched for torque vs tire size and found this statement.

"As a rule of thumb you can expect to lose about 3.5% of torque/gear ratio for every inch of tire size increase."

Source: http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/math_wheels.html
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw View Post
JohnnieB,

I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV.

I'm guessing you're looking for the force that the tire applies to the (for illustration purposes) road.

Is torque the applicable force? I thought torque was the measure of rotational force - a wheel around an axle, a lever at the point of its fulcrum, etc.

If it does apply, wouldn't it be a function of the surface area of the tire's contact with the road and the elasticity of the tire itself (although intuitively, I think you'd eventually get that back as the tire's rubber rebounds from the initial stretch)?

There's a pretty dense discussion of torque on Wikipedia that might shed some light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Just wondering...

RLW
What the force is called and how it is measured, does gets a little gray at the point were the tire touches the road.

A tire is effectively a lever rotating around a fulcrum, so a 17" tire applies twice as much force at its point of contact with the road than a 34" tire does.

What I'm looking for is a formula (simplified version if possible) that tells me how many pounds of force is applied at the end of the lever (tire tread) when the ft/lb of torque at the fulcrum (axle) and length of the lever arm (Tire radius) are known.

It looks like I'll have to break out the trig tables and scientific calculator.

However, I think I'll watch NASCAR at Martinsville instead.

----------
For my purposes, the rolling loses of the tires are not part of it.

---------

Full disclosure: I have a spreadsheet I use to calculate things like relative gains and losses in speed, motor rpm, and torque with different sized tires and gear ratios and was wondering if the suppositions I've been making are valid.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I also am not a mech eng but I do have The Google. I searched for torque vs tire size and found this statement.

"As a rule of thumb you can expect to lose about 3.5% of torque/gear ratio for every inch of tire size increase."

Source: http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/math_wheels.html
Thanks, a quick peek tells me my answer might be buried in there someplace.

I'll check that out after the race.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't you also have to factor in for the ratio from the clutches? It's not straight one to one from motor to rear end gearing.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdave71 View Post
Don't you also have to factor in for the ratio from the clutches? It's not straight one to one from motor to rear end gearing.
I don't think he has "clutches". He's dealing with an electric motor.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJ View Post
Yes, my electric motor is directly coupled to the input shaft of the differential, so it is a 1:1 ratio.

If the Motor/Engine is indirectly coupled to the differential, that ratio must be included also.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Missed that..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJ View Post
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Out of curiosity, I was trying to figure out how much torque is applied where rubber meets road and ran into a stumbling block.

I know you multiply the torque generated by the motor by the gear ratio of the gears in the differential to get the torque at the axle, but not quite sure of how to calculate what portion of that is transmitted to the tire's footprint.

For example: My motor develops about 10.3HP at 1450RPM (@42V), so it produces about 37.4 ft/lb of torque. The gear ratio is 12.44:1, so there is about 465.2 ft/lb of torque present at the axles, disregarding mechanical losses.

My question is: How much of that torque is applied to the road through tires that are 17" in diameter?
Plug the radius of the tire in your equation. What you're working with is foot pounds so you know that you start with 12 inches. if your tires are smaller than 24 OD then add to the figure you have, if larger then subtract whatever percentage of the radius to 12 inches is.

Heck now I'm confused too LOL
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO