lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What to expect with 500 amp controller and Stock Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman08 View Post
1. Wow, that may be to much info at one time for me.
2. If I am understanding you right Johnnie B. I wasted my money buying a 500+ controller for a series cart instead of a 400 amp.?
3. BUT now that I have it anyway, are you still sold on the rapter AMD 7126?
4. Is there anything else out there that would give me that type speed for someone that is financially embarressed?
5. If not, I guess I can go rob my local 7-11!!!!
1. The fog clears eventually.

2. Probably not, but maybe.
What amp controller to use depends on the tires used, the motor used and what the cart is used for.
You are using a high speed motor, so it needs some help (amp-wise) at lower RPM. Especially if you have tires taller than 18" and/or have a back seat and/or haul/tow stuff.

3. I'm neither for or against it. Personally, I'm a sepex motor guy, but there are a couple guys on the forum that have them and love them.

4. There are basically three ways to increase the speed of a cart with a series wound motor.
A. Increase the battery pack voltage.
B. Change the final drive ratio. (Tire height and differential gear ratio)
C. Motor that is wound for high end torque (High-speed motor).

They all cost money, so speed is expensive, and the question becomes: How fast do you want to go?

5. Not sure if that would help your cart project any, but you might get free room and board for a while.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman08 View Post
Wow, that may be to much info at one time for me. If I am understanding you right Johnnie B. I wasted my money buying a 500+ controller for a series cart instead of a 400 amp.? BUT now that I have it anyway, are you still sold on the rapter AMD 7126? Is there anything else out there that would give me that type speed for someone that is financially embarressed? If not, I guess I can go rob my local 7-11!!!!
No - generally we use higher amperage controls on the series motors. They are torque producers and use more amperage to operate.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #23
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGators View Post
I am purchasing a 2005 EZ-GO PDS that I am going to add a long travel lift and 23" tire setup. What type of speed/torque should I expect with the Alltrax DCX 500 Amp controller and and HD solenoid 400amp? I will be using a minimum of 4guage wires. I would greatly appreciate input. Thanks
FWIW, I have a 2002 PDS and a 2008 PDS. Both have DCX500 controllers with stock motors and the 400 amp solenoid. Both have 22" tires, but the 2002 has low pressure tires and is only used on dirt. It will run 24 mph according to the gps. The 2008 will run 26. I've never been able to get either motor over 180 degrees when climbing the mountains in my area, but they aren't as steep as some places.

Good luck with yours!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #24
ImtheBIGBADwolf
Not Yet Wild

With the alltrax controllers. Can you field weaken like I large dc motors
ImtheBIGBADwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImtheBIGBADwolf View Post
With the alltrax controllers. Can you field weaken like I large dc motors
Their sepex controllers do field weakening, their series controllers don't.

In a series drive cart the armature and stator (field) are connected in series and normally the same amps flow through both sets of windings, but some forum members have added a shunt to the stator via a solenoid, so it can be applied after the motor is spinning at high RPM and disconnected when torque is needed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO