lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Wiring ? 2004 EZ go

recently did a full controller/solenoid/f&R switch upgrade. I also converted over to 48v. I am having a few issues, which seem to be related to some wiring being out of place (which was most likely happening before the upgrade, just went unnoticed)

everything with the cart seems to be working fine except these 2 issues.

- the controller LED is staying on when the key is off, I do have a "jumper wire" from my large terminal of the battery side solenoid going back to the small terminal of the solenoid "controller side", which seems out of place (but was wired this way before upgrade)

When I remove that jumper wire i loose all power regardless of key position,

-the cart will move forward slowly when the key is on and brake is off.

scottieb suggested i look towards the wiring from the pedal switch,

started to follow some of the wiring and have found that the green wire from the pedal switch isn't connected to anything.

Wondering if the previous owner had a bad pedal switch and somehow "monkeyed" with the wiring to "bypass" it?

I was planning to replace the pedal switch, and reconnect the green wire following the diagram, and disconnect the jumper wire to the solenoid.. Any thoughts or suggestions?
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The green wire from the pedal switch is ultimately the wire they carries voltage to the solenoid, which is why someone put that jump on. With the jumper your solenoid stays closed all the time which could be dangerous because of a runaway cart.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Could be the pedal switch was bad or the forward micro switch if it is a series cart.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring ? 2004 EZ go

Sounds like the previous owner had reed switch, pedal switch or keyswitch failure, or maybe the wiring connecting the three switches in series, and then bypassed just about every safety feature EZGO designed into the cart.

EZGO stopped using the reed switch, so it is okay to bypass it (see first attachment), but the solenoid should not click unless the key is ON and the pedal is pushed.

As for the cart moving without throttle pedal being pushed:
The problem probably existed before the upgrades, but the 36V pack didn't have the oomph to make the cart creep. (But it was a drain on the battery.)

Might be the mechanical adjustment of the plunger that goes into the ITS sensor is too close when the pedal is up.

Or it could be some crosstalk between the pins of the in-line MOLEX connector that connects the gray four wire cable from the pedal box to the cart's wiring harness.

If you have a SPM controller, the auto adjust for the throttle might compensate for it, but if cart jerks when solenoid clicks, it needs to be found and fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

thanks for the diagrams!

i ordered a new pedal switch. I plan to install that, and bypass the reed switch. I have a new F&R switch already so hoping that will cover everything.

I will try to follow the diagram and get my wiring back in order. hoping that will take care of the issues
Old 05-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

i installed a new pedal switch and felt pretty good about this being the issue. The old one seemed to be broken and the green wire from the switch was disconnected. got the new switch installed, but when i pressed the pedal, the activator (arm with the roller wheel) on the new switch would catch the pedal plunger instead of activating. i tried adjusting the pedal, but think i ended up breaking the switch. it basically bent the arm back instead of in.. any suggestions on what to do next. i guess i need to order a new switch. am i on the right trck with adjusting the pedal?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
i installed a new pedal switch and felt pretty good about this being the issue. The old one seemed to be broken and the green wire from the switch was disconnected. got the new switch installed, but when i pressed the pedal, the activator (arm with the roller wheel) on the new switch would catch the pedal plunger instead of activating. i tried adjusting the pedal, but think i ended up breaking the switch. it basically bent the arm back instead of in.. any suggestions on what to do next. i guess i need to order a new switch. am i on the right trck with adjusting the pedal?
I think we need a pic of the pedal box assembly ... I did have one odd ball Ezgo TXT that I had to cut a slope in the switch cam actuator to delay solenoid activation.
Get a new switch ... bolt it in and BEFORE you go any further send pics so we can see the set up in the 'off' pedal up position. ok?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

here is picture of the switch. this is the broken one, but i tried to move the arm back to where it was originally so you can see the setup.. I have a new switch ordered

is this the correct part # MICRO SWITCH 25861-G01

Old 06-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This switch is definitely a problem. Post another pic when you install the new switch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

can anyone provide me with the correct part number for the micro switch for a 2004 cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO