lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Another Differential Question

"Some" fine metal in the bottom of the pan during the first fill is somewhat normal. The gears need to seat together and any minor imperfections will wear away as they do. Once they have created their optimum mating surface, there should be no more metal in the pan under normal conditions.

Go ask this question on bobistheoilguy.com if you still are not sure about using gear oil in a gear box.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #12
whitetaco02
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
"Some" fine metal in the bottom of the pan during the first fill is somewhat normal. The gears need to seat together and any minor imperfections will wear away as they do. Once they have created their optimum mating surface, there should be no more metal in the pan under normal conditions.

Go ask this question on bobistheoilguy.com if you still are not sure about using gear oil in a gear box.
This wasn't the first fill though. It's only been two to three weeks since I did it the first time but the RTV didn't seal correctly so I redid it.
whitetaco02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #13
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Then that is not so good news, IMO. Have you checked the bearings and shafts for excessive wear and end play? Are they loose? Are there score marks on the gear faces or are they polished? If the latter, you are probably OK. Anything else is more indicative of a problem.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
whitetaco02
Not Yet Wild

Honestly everything looked great in there with no other problems whatsoever. I am wondering if I don't have a LSD and I used 30 weight oil and shouldn't have.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
daven8844x
Not Yet Wild

It appears to have been brought up a couple of times, but what I thought was a pan leak was a leak from the area where the motor meets the rear diff that was running down to the pan. To be sure, if it is not clean, wipe the area clean. Go out and drive. Come back and see if oil is coming from that area (which then runs down to the pan and drips from the bottom of the pan).

I have a 2008 PDS. This was my issue just last night. I replaced the o-ring where the input shaft goes into the differential with a $1 o-ring from Advanced Auto Parts, and that appears to have fixed the leak. Good luck.
daven8844x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
whitetaco02
Not Yet Wild

I just jacked it up and turned one wheel and the other one went the other way so no LSD.

I spoke with a guy at Beast who was very helpful and said that the shavings were normal and could have washed down.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
whitetaco02
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven8844x View Post
It appears to have been brought up a couple of times, but what I thought was a pan leak was a leak from the area where the motor meets the rear diff that was running down to the pan. To be sure, if it is not clean, wipe the area clean. Go out and drive. Come back and see if oil is coming from that area (which then runs down to the pan and drips from the bottom of the pan).

I have a 2008 PDS. This was my issue just last night. I replaced the o-ring where the input shaft goes into the differential with a $1 o-ring from Advanced Auto Parts, and that appears to have fixed the leak. Good luck.
I have looked over the entire area you are talking about and it is dry. When I filled the pan back up last time some ran out the back over the blue rtv and I don't think it was able to sure properly. The guy at Beast said he used the black rtv not blue. What is the difference?
Old 06-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
whitetaco02
Not Yet Wild

I have some Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in 75w-90 that I am going to pump in today. We will see how that works out. Thoughts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO