lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default 1988 Club Car DS Starting Issues

This past weekend I tuned up the 1988 Club Car, and although the cart runs better it still has a starting issue. I will explain it below:

If I put the petal all the way to the floor it will just turn over. If I barely push the petal in it will turn over and then take off, but it is almost a special spot that I have to hit for it to take off. If I don't push it enough, it wont turn over, but if I push it to much it just turns over. The choke doesn't seem to help unless I hit that special spot mentioned above, and even with that it seems not to help that much. I did notice that the linkage was sticking that opens up the butterfly on the carb, so I lubed that up and it helped with it starting and running wise. I did notice that the butterfly on the carb opens up all the way when the petal is pressed to the floor. Does this sound more like a linkage issue?

Everything else is good as far as spark and a new air filter. Another thing, I tested the compression and it is at 100lbs. Is that bad? I heard that 100 is the minimum to get it to run, so I hope that the engine isn't on its last leg.
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 Club Car DS Starting Issues

My 91 does the exact same thing and I thought it was just normal.
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
yler4cy
Gone Wild

I had a 1985 that did the same thing, but it wasn't this bad. I am hoping to figure out the issue. If I do, I will post it on here.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Compression figure is good. The range is between 85-125 I believe for these motors.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Can you confirm what's causing it to not start (when it won't start)? Is lack of fuel or lack of spark? Put the pedal all the way to the floor (since you said it never starts when you do that) and turn it over for a about 5-7 seconds then pull the plug and see if it's wet. If it is wet, you have fuel. Floor the pedal again while holding the plug against the motor with a pair of insulated pliers to see if it sparks. If it seems to be linkage-related I'm leaning towards it being a fuel issue within the carb.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
yler4cy
Gone Wild

So I decided to take it to the Club Car dealer in town, and they just called me and told me that it is fixed and ready to go. They said the governor linkage needed minor adjustment. Thanks for all your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car