lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Those that converted from 36v to 48v, was it worth it, and what did you gain?

Im about to replace my batteries, and I'm thinking about upgrading to 48v. To those that have done it, was it worth that much money? What gains would I see vs 36v with a plum quick bandit motor. That's only $225 and I'm local to them.

Or would you have stuck with 36v and upgraded from there? Motor, etc?
Jeffreynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Those that converted from 36v to 48v, was it worth it, and what did you gain?

I did it about a year and a half ago. Best thing I ever did to the cart.

I've been a member here for 5 years and lurked before that. Never have I ever read a post where someone regretted going to 48v.

If you were to shop new carts form CC, EZGO or Yammi they are all 48v. I don't think CC has made a 36v cart since last century.

Once you do it, the only recurring expense is a slight increase in cost for 8v batteries. In my area, about $10 per battery for equivalent capacity vs. the 6v.

Depending on your use the stock motor may be sufficient. 48v lights 'em up. Consider 42v also.

There have been some developments in the last year, notably the Alltrax xct controllers for sepex carts. Talk to Scottyb here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Those that converted from 36v to 48v, was it worth it, and what did you gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I did it about a year and a half ago. Best thing I ever did to the cart.

I've been a member here for 5 years and lurked before that. Never have I ever read a post where someone regretted going to 48v.

If you were to shop new carts form CC, EZGO or Yammi they are all 48v. I don't think CC has made a 36v cart since last century.

Once you do it, the only recurring expense is a slight increase in cost for 8v batteries. In my area, about $10 per battery for equivalent capacity vs. the 6v.

Depending on your use the stock motor may be sufficient. 48v lights 'em up. Consider 42v also.

There have been some developments in the last year, notably the Alltrax xct controllers for sepex carts. Talk to Scottyb here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

I just called plum quick, it turns out I have a lower grade motor that they won't upgrade. I'd have to pay an extra $100 on top of the $225 bandit motor just to have a compatible motor. It's adding up quick.

$325 bandit motor
$500 round about for a controller
$700 6, 8 bolt batteries
$100 solenoid.
$100 Stanley charger( use until I find a cheap used ezgo one)

$1725 total.

Crap, I only have $750 in the whole cart.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
Im about to replace my batteries, and I'm thinking about upgrading to 48v. To those that have done it, was it worth that much money? What gains would I see vs 36v with a plum quick bandit motor. That's only $225 and I'm local to them.

Or would you have stuck with 36v and upgraded from there? Motor, etc?
Regardless whether it is a stock, a re-manufactured stock or an aftermarket motor, going from 36V to 48V, you will get a 33.3% increase in both speed and torque; And the torque increase is throughout the motor's increased RPM range.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just called plum quick, it turns out I have a lower grade motor that they won't upgrade. I'd have to pay an extra $100 on top of the $225 bandit motor just to have a compatible motor. It's adding up quick.

$325 bandit motor
$500 round about for a controller
$700 6, 8 bolt batteries
$100 solenoid.
$100 Stanley charger( use until I find a cheap used ezgo one)

$1725 total.

Crap, I only have $750 in the whole cart.
Is it a series drive??? (Series wound motor)

You can get a SPM48400 controller kit that includes 200A solenoid for about $420.

Going with six 8V batteries is less expensive than eight 6V batteries. (If the 8V batteries are 170AH, you'll have roughly the same driving distance on a single charge as a standard 36V battery pack)

You can run the original motor until it dies (as you said, no core value)

With the money saved, you can get a 48V DPI Accusense Charger, plus a Heavy-Duty F/R switch (needed if it is a series drive).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Jeffreynmandy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is it a series drive??? (Series wound motor)

You can get a SPM48400 controller kit that includes 200A solenoid for about $420.

Going with six 8V batteries is less expensive than eight 6V batteries. (If the 8V batteries are 170AH, you'll have roughly the same driving distance on a single charge as a standard 36V battery pack)

You can run the original motor until it dies (as you said, no core value)

With the money saved, you can get a 48V DPI Accusense Charger, plus a Heavy-Duty F/R switch (needed if it is a series drive).

I'd definatley go with 6,8v.
If I can get the controller and solenoid for $420, $700 batt., $100 charger.

But I forgot the cable upgrade and f/r switch $250

That's about $1500, a little better.

My only thing is, I have a gas cart also, and may sell this one later on. I don't really want to lose my tail on it when selling it. I have $750 in it. That's $2250.

Maybe I could at least break even. It's in great shape, garage kept, paint job, back seat, new seat covers. Stock wheels and tires though.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'd definatley go with 6,8v.
If I can get the controller and solenoid for $420, $700 batt., $100 charger.

But I forgot the cable upgrade and f/r switch $250

That's about $1500, a little better.

My only thing is, I have a gas cart also, and may sell this one later on. I don't really want to lose my tail on it when selling it. I have $750 in it. That's $2250.

Maybe I could at least break even. It's in great shape, garage kept, paint job, back seat, new seat covers. Stock wheels and tires though.
Not sure about the market in your area, but I just bought a cart about 2 months ago, and around here in SW Florida, with your upgrades, you should easily get around $4-5k for it.
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
offthemap
Not Yet Wild

Good thread. A lot of questions I have were answered here. I just picked up 6-6v Trojan T105's for 700+tax and I'm seriously considering going to 42v but I dont wanna have to spend the money on a 42v DPI charger right now. SO, i've been thinking about doing the Bandit upgrade too.
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
offthemap
Not Yet Wild

Anyone have any experience doing both of these upgrades separately that could speak to which one they saw the most improvement from? Like you did the Bandit motor first and then later on went to 42v or 48v later? or vise versa...
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthemap View Post
Anyone have any experience doing both of these upgrades separately that could speak to which one they saw the most improvement from? Like you did the Bandit motor first and then later on went to 42v or 48v later? or vise versa...
What cart are you asking about?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO