lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
devybob
Gone Wild

Default Solenoid Cables Burnt

While driving in heavy rain my cart stopped and I could smell burning wires. When I got home I saw the wires melted on the solenoid. The wire that goes from the solenoid to the F1 terminal on my controller had the end burnt off,the resistor and the diode on the solenoid were burnt,along with the wires that go to the motor(black and white) were damaged. All the damage was done on the one side of my 48v solenoid. My question is what to do from here. I can repair the cables easy enough but what caused this and how do I define how much damage was done.http://www.buggiesgonewild.com[ATTACH][ATThttp://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=125989&stc=1&d=1443651 561ACH]125989[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0822.jpg (332.0 KB, 0 views)
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Solenoid Cables Burnt

The burned wires were likely caused by a solenoid failure. Thats where i would start, the terminals are likely screwed up now anyway.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devybob View Post
While driving in heavy rain my cart stopped and I could smell burning wires. When I got home I saw the wires melted on the solenoid. The wire that goes from the solenoid to the F1 terminal on my controller had the end burnt off,the resistor and the diode on the solenoid were burnt,along with the wires that go to the motor(black and white) were damaged. All the damage was done on the one side of my 48v solenoid. My question is what to do from here. I can repair the cables easy enough but what caused this and how do I define how much damage was done.
There should not have been a wire connecting any terminal on the solenoid to the F1 terminal on the controller.

Undoubtedly, you need a new solenoid and a new cable or two, but make sure it is wired correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX In PDS- Full.jpg (261.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You may want to upgrade the solenoid to a 400a unit at this time.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
devybob
Gone Wild

Thanks to all 3 who responded, thanks to cgtech, I took your advise and ordered a 400A solenoid from scotty b(carts unlimited )this morning,even before I read scotty b's response. Now Johnnieb's response, I'm really glad you pointed out that the F1 cable should not be connected to the solenoid, after looking at the burnt cable I see it was just burnt in half at the solenoid lug by being next to it. The old burnt solenoid I took out was a MZJ-200D.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Hate to say this, but, if the F1 was fried in half, the controller is likely shot. The F1 & F2 wires really hate being "messed with" by voltage from anything else. We'll see soon. I hope for the best.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Hate to say this, but, if the F1 was fried in half, the controller is likely shot. The F1 & F2 wires really hate being "messed with" by voltage from anything else. We'll see soon. I hope for the best.
Honestly I have never seen or heard of F1 connected to the solenoid. The fact the cart ran baffles me. Is this some kind of go fast trick?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devybob View Post
Thanks to all 3 who responded, thanks to cgtech, I took your advise and ordered a 400A solenoid from scotty b(carts unlimited )this morning,even before I read scotty b's response. Now Johnnieb's response, I'm really glad you pointed out that the F1 cable should not be connected to the solenoid, after looking at the burnt cable I see it was just burnt in half at the solenoid lug by being next to it. The old burnt solenoid I took out was a MZJ-200D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Honestly I have never seen or heard of F1 connected to the solenoid. The fact the cart ran baffles me. Is this some kind of go fast trick?
If I read the statement highlighted in blue right, the F1 cable was not intentionally connected to the solenoid, it just was routed close enough to the stud that got hot to melt through the insulation, which then shorted the F1 cable conductor to the stud, which in turn put B+ from the battery pack into the Field winding circuit, which drew enough amps to burn the 10 Ga copper conductor in two.

As CG said, it the battery voltage did get tied to the Field circuit, it very likely took out the controller. In fact, it might have taken out the Field windings in the motor also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hey! Keep your eyes on the road
Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
devybob
Gone Wild

Jonnieb is right,the wires were routed too close to the solenoid and were taken out by the heat, I mistakenly said the wires were attached to the solenoid.I will let you know what happened on Monday when the solenoid comes in. The wires are repaired so all I have to do is to install the solenoid to see how much damage was done. Wish me luck.

Last edited by devybob; 10-03-2015 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: JohnnieB mispelled
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO