lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: CC DS Resistor coil 36v.... worth upgrading or wasting my $$??

Quote:
Originally Posted by beolink View Post
Thanks UncleJerm for your reply.
...A Solid State controller would run me about 400$ and I´m not really prepared to put that kind of money into the cart...
Right now I see a stock Curtis 1204 36v controller (that I mentioned in my earlier post) with a buy it now price as low as $180 right now on eBay! If you don't go offroad or need more power for big tires and a rear seat - then this is a no brainer option to jump into a controller setup. The reason I am such a fan of this 36V controller is not just the price. Curtis used the same logic board for a bunch of their controllers and the power board was already built to handle 48v. It can be taken apart and modified to work with as much as 60v and upgraded to handle as much as 500A very inexpensively.

If you don't want to muck around with modifying a controller yourself, there are also plenty for sale that have already been modified for 48V/500A for around $264. Thats prob getting close to what replacing all your solenoids will cost you correct?

My point for this post is to show you can still get a controller on a low budget. There might be a couple other small things to buy like a 0-5k throttle box and more depending on if you stayed 36v or switch to 48v. But in the end your cart would be more efficient, more reliable, quieter and arguably worth more money with a controller when it comes time to sell it ...call it an investment. I understand you are "across the big pond" so you'll have to search around [on your own eBay].

Start researching now so when you get back to the summer house you can spend your time playing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis1204Stock.JPG (41.6 KB, 0 views)
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #12
beolink
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi,
Thanks for looking in to this for me!

Although as I mentioned I´m sadly located in Europe and all the controllers I´ve found for reasonable prices have been in the US. 180$ plus shipping + customs + VAT would in the end cost me around 400$.

However. I opted for the conservative approach and rammed the 4x 12v batteries from my precedent into the poor DS + 2 other second hand 12v batteries and got a really good runtime / performance while still staying with 36V :)
(Yes, this involved a whole lot of cutting and reconstructing of spacers, holders as well as a new slightly hidden compartment for batteries behind the normal battery compartment.

The downside of it all is the weight increase. The cart doesn´t feel as agile as before but as this cart is mostly confined to flat roads and not hills and lawn driving it´s less of a problem.
beolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
Dawgfan77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just an update:
I put the newish set of batteries (out of Ez-go) in the DS and made new 4 gauge wires for it. Wow what a difference! It gets ridden almost daily, will climb anything I can get traction on, and has great battery life. I had to adjust the V-Glide to get it to work right, but all-in-all, its a tuff little cart. Even with the loose motor terminal it seems to be holding up great.
So now I have an Ez-go PDS with no controller, solenoid, or batteries.... what to do........
Dawgfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car