lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Cart slanted.

After changing the suspension and putting a new lift kit (5" axle drop) the cart is a bit slanted to one side. half an inch to 3 quarters. Could it be that I tightened the shocks on the side too much?

I did measured them and one looks to be longer to the shock bracket than the other?
MikeF0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
mutley
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart slanted.

A correctly sized shock should have both down and up travel, so if your shocks are on full extension (ie don't let the axle drop down) then they are too short. So no, overnight shock that's correctly sized will not effect the ride height.
mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley View Post
A correctly sized shock should have both down and up travel, so if your shocks are on full extension (ie don't let the axle drop down) then they are too short. So no, overnight shock that's correctly sized will not effect the ride height.
They do have travel. If I have the front of the car by the axle it clearly goes up and travels before it starts lifting the frame.

What could it be then?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
mutley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF0209 View Post
They do have travel. If I have the front of the car by the axle it clearly goes up and travels before it starts lifting the frame.

What could it be then?
If you jack it up by the frame, does the frame go up and the wheel stay on the ground? That's your down travel, you should have a few inches of that as well before the wheel starts to lift off the ground.

Is it the front or back that's low?
mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Tightening a shock, either very under (IE hand tight, oops I forgot that one) or very Over IE fell asleep with the impact gun and your finger on the trigger ... Neither one should affect the level of the cart. It will make noise when riding if you accidentally left everything loose, but that's about it, worse case scenario. I'm guessing from Your Avatar You have a TXT, and there are really only 2 things that will make it not level, number one it wasn't to begin with but You didn't notice before You lifted it, weren't sure about your handiwork, and are now second-guessing your install ... Or number two, one shackle is binding and it's holding up the rear on one side. Grab a pair of 9/16" and head for the rear shackles, they should be locknuts and they should be snug but not drilled down hard, pinching the shackles, sleeve, and bushing.

I'm guessing worn spring, very common - and easy to not see prior to a lift.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley View Post
If you jack it up by the frame, does the frame go up and the wheel stay on the ground? That's your down travel, you should have a few inches of that as well before the wheel starts to lift off the ground.

Is it the front or back that's low?
Yea, jacking it up from the frame, it travels a few inches before the wheels go up.

It looks low from front and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161125_150339.jpg (200.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

I did noticed that my rear leaf springs are running flat. I didn't replace those when I installed the lift kit. Should they be arched? I'm also running 3.5" shackles, should I be using the 2.5s?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_085600.jpg (97.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_085613.jpg (73.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart slanted

I honestly think its the rear springs. They are pretty much flat. I don't believe they are heavy duty as they only have 3 leafs instead of 4. Those were the originals installed when I got the cart. When i did the lift I should have changed them. I also bought 2.5" shackles for the back instead of 3.5 to allow it take a more natural curve of the leafs. I ordered the heavy duty ones with new bushings as well. Took at advantage of the 20% off black Friday special at EZGO

Hopefully, when I replace them it will fix the squeaking and the slant I have back there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO