lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV 1st battery terminal getting hot and making crackling noises

i have a 2010 RXV. The first battery terminal coming from the controller to the first positive battery terminal gets really hot. I've cleaned all the connections and made sure they are tight. Occassionally it makes a crackling sound which is never good I've disconnected all accessories such as lights etc. Its actaully melted some of the insulation around some of the wiring and began distorting the metal at the terminal. It gets hot within minutes of regular driving on a smooth flat road. The cable coming from the controller to the terminal was warm as well.

I've ordered a new receptacle that comes with wiring as mine appears compromised due to the heat.

Any idea whats causing it?
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: RXV 1st battery terminal getting hot and making crackling noises

Original cause was poor connection. The problem is when it does distort the metal in the battery terminal or the "eye" on the end of the cable you'll have a hard time ever getting a good connection there. Certainly change out at least the cable end and grind / file / whatever you have to do to get the battery terminal right again. If you are saying some of the insulation is melted off the cable, the entire cable should be replaced. Without looking at it no one here can tell you for sure if the battery itself will have to be replaced, but any distortion that results in a weak connection will only continue to give you grief. There's lots of amps drawing through those connections. If the solid metal on metal contact points aren't enough to transfer that load, it will arc around the week connection about like a welder. LOTS of heat.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also be sure to put the main cable on the bottom of your wire stack, with all the smaller wires stacked above the big one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Also be sure to put the main cable on the bottom of your wire stack, with all the smaller wires stacked above the big one.
Good tip. I always wondered if that was best.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK. things have gotten worse. I took each cable off individually and cleaned each side by using a wire brush. The 2 cables coming off the charging outlet to the 1st positive battery cable look like they are toast. I cleaned them off anyway and hooked everything back up. Now when I turn it on I get nothing. no clicks on the prechecks or anything. I am hoping it is because those 2 cables are pretty melted up, not that I fried something. this morning (before cleaning) things were working cuz I had to move it. The cable coming from the charging outlet to the negative on the last battery looks OK.

I'm getting over 50 on the battery pack. I have an analog reader and its hard to get an exact reading.

I have ordered a new charging outlet that comes with cables. hopefully that is the cause.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (4).jpg (173.6 KB, 0 views)
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO