lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
kpauley
Gone Wild

Thumbs down Guidance on cart selection please

We currently have a 99 EZ-GO TXT we use on the farm which is a little steep in some locations. I've completely rebuilt the drive system on that cart (motor, Alltrax controller, wiring, batteries, switches, everything) and upgraded it from a 36V to a 42V which made a big difference.

In any case, I still watch the classifieds, craigslist, etc., for used carts. We have an EZ-GO, been generally happy so will probably keep in that family.

I'm just wanting some guidance on what years / models to steer towards or away knowing it will see farm duty with some hills pulling a trailer. Would like some good torque and power, so I'm thinking a higher voltage system is a start. I know the TXT line, but some of the other lines may be good candidates?

We'll be looking in the $1500-3000 tops I think and willing to do a little work to it if needed.

Opinions wanted on this post :-)

Thanks!
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Guidance on cart selection please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
We currently have a 99 EZ-GO TXT we use on the farm which is a little steep in some locations. I've completely rebuilt the drive system on that cart (motor, Alltrax controller, wiring, batteries, switches, everything) and upgraded it from a 36V to a 42V which made a big difference.

In any case, I still watch the classifieds, craigslist, etc., for used carts. We have an EZ-GO, been generally happy so will probably keep in that family.

I'm just wanting some guidance on what years / models to steer towards or away knowing it will see farm duty with some hills pulling a trailer. Would like some good torque and power, so I'm thinking a higher voltage system is a start. I know the TXT line, but some of the other lines may be good candidates?

We'll be looking in the $1500-3000 tops I think and willing to do a little work to it if needed.

Opinions wanted on this post :-)

Thanks!
For good low speed torque and hill climbing, you may want to look into an AC drive cart such as an RXV. No need to do motor or controller upgrades and more efficient than DC motor carts in most uses. Just don't go overboard on larger tires/wheels and they do pretty darn good.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
kpauley
Gone Wild

Thanks Bob! I actually saw a couple RXV's out there and didn't know much about them.

Need to start looking around a prices. I saw recently a golf course has a few 2013 RXV's they are cycling out of service for $2350.

Anything to look out for on RXV's for judging their health?

We do put tractor style tires on our cart (for mud and snow, a small paddle type tractor tread) but did that on stock wheel/size, no lift.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
kpauley
Gone Wild

And a 2008 48V for $1500, but says it has some tuning and may be slightly lifted I think.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Look for 2012.5 & newer with Curtis controller. If you can find one with 6x 8v batteries already in it, that would be a nice perk.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
kpauley
Gone Wild

So I should avoid the 2008? It actually looks pretty clean, not sure if they are just showing it off at the house or it's someones private cart on a golf course or not, but it may have seen an easy life already....this is one of the pictures posted of it...
Attached Images
File Type: png image1 (1).PNG (960.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

08 had Danaher controller, had a little bit more problems than Curtis controller. Biggest deal is parts availability, ezgo & Danaher had a falling out, controllers no longer available, wire harnesses are as rare as hens teeth. And the harness is known to have problems with corrosion due to battery acid. If either of these problems crop up, you will be left with few options besides converting cart to Curtis controller, might as well just start with the one that has parts available.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes stay away from a 2008 altogether.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
kpauley
Gone Wild

Bummer, looked really clean and reasonable. I'm guessing by going newer the costs is going to go up. But, in the end that may mean spending less money on servicing....
Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
Bummer, looked really clean and reasonable. I'm guessing by going newer the costs is going to go up. But, in the end that may mean spending less money on servicing....
The Curtis RXVs have more stock torque as well...

Where are you located? Augusta Golf Carts had some off-lease 2013 and 2014 RXVs starting at about $2250 on eBay. My local dealer just bought 62 of them. He had ordered 2013s and was delivered 2014s at the same price.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO