lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Cobrakid8
Getting Wild

Default 1999 EZGO series cart help

Alright guys, last I night was working on my cart which I am fairly new to. I was adding scotty's meter to the cart and decided I would cut some of the lights the previous owner had Jerry rigged on the cart. So stupid me went to cutting the wires to a light he had put on top of the cart and after cutting off about 40 wire tires I cut through both the wires at the same time, of course it sparked real good and after that nothing now works. I am figuring I fried the controller. I get 37 plus volts to the key but as soon as I put some green wire onto the key lug, it loads the voltage down.

This is a 1999 EZGO series non DCS cart with I am guessing the 1206 controller. Is it worth sending the controller out and getting it refurbished? I don't have much money at all for this thing, I bought it to haul around juniors for my son and nephew and that's all it's used for, so I can't really afford an alltrax. Thank you for your time!
Cobrakid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 EZGO series cart help

See if a fuse is blown. My 1998 didn't have one, but many have a BIG fuse in the main cables.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Cobrakid8
Getting Wild

I did check the only fuse I found which was a 15 but it was still in good condition as I was hoping that was the problem :(
Old 06-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Series carts are fairly bullet-proof, so maybe check the reed switch and all microswitches.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need power on all the red lines when you try to go... Start at your charge receptacle or battery source for the F&R switches and follow the red lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
Cobrakid8
Getting Wild

Thanks guys, the cart was reading 37.8 or something like that and I unplugged the charger while me and my dad put the meter on the cart, so stupid me while he was finishing that, decided to try to take off the nest of wires the guy had added for a few lights. Now the meter doesn't show anything so I prob fried that also, I will get dad back over here and see what we can figure out with his volt meter.

Also if the controller is burnt up can they refurbish it and if so has anyone ever had it done? Thanks, Doug
Old 06-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

If sounds like he blew a fuse, but since he shorted the output of the 12V, it could have shorted the 12V converter. He said when he connects the green wire to the keyswitch lug it swamps the 37V at the key. It sounds like a shorted converter. Just my 2 cents.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Cobrakid8
Getting Wild

Thanks bob, we will check the converter, we were just dumbfounded when we checked the keyswitch and it had all 37 plus volts to it, but as soon as we hooked the green wire back on it lugged it down. I just know that when it's in on position and pedal is hit we get nothing at all, no clicks no nothing and if in reverse we get the beep, but once the pedal is hit the beep goes off. So far the only fuse I found was in one of the main battery cables and it looked good.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #9
Cobrakid8
Getting Wild

Hopefully we will get into the cart tonight, just been to busy to work on it. I printed off the service manual and will try to go through that tonight testing as much as possible. Hoping we can figure out what I fried with my stupid mishap so that we can get this thing working again! I have no audible click so I am hoping it is maybe one of the micro switches or maybe the solenoid. Guess we shall see.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure that nest of wires you cut only contained light wires. You could have cut one of the activation wires. Short circuiting the light wires shouldn't have taken out the controller. Follow the diagram that Scotty posted for voltage and you should figure it out. Does the solenoid click when you press the pedal?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO