lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #11
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart died, smoke coming off solenoid.

This is what it lookks Like when everything is connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6629.jpg (122.2 KB, 0 views)
hawmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Oh. That looks different than the one taken from directly above. I now see the small ring terminals are on a different level than the big ones.

Is there any sign of carbon tracking along the side of the plastic, from the small terminals to the large ones?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You know I'd didn't even notice until you asked me, now I see there is burn marks on the other side in the same spot. That wasn't there before today, nor the other one. That's the only visible marks I can see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6629.jpg (76.3 KB, 0 views)
hawmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Generally, when an arc happens, it will leave a carbon track, or a black line between the terminals that are arcing. What I asked, was whether there was a black mark between the large terminal and the small one just below it.

Again, from your first photo angle, it looked like the large and small terminals were on the same level, or right next to each other.

In any event, something bad happened, as there is evidence of arcing on both large terminals and several small ring terminals. Is it possible that something metal fell on the solenoid, such as a loose bolt, or screwdriver?
Old 07-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Go back and look at the first photo you posted, and the recent one. Given, the angle isn't the same, but if you click on the photo, then click on it a second time, it will open up in a browser window. Clicking a third time will zoom to actual size.

It looks the same to me in both pics.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Do the 2 larger wires with the burn marks have an insulator between the lug and the base? If not are they supposed to? IDK. After enlarging the first photo it looks to me like there was a short between the small and large wires. I still can't see much of a different "level." If there is one they are still close.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The top most big solenoid terminal in last pix (at the blue tie wrap) looks like it has been hot. The nut even looks a little pale, unlike the other. What is that big wire partially hidden that is routed against this big terminal lug? It looks like it may have got against or pinched under the big wire on that terminal possibly rubbed through and made contact with the stud. Something has drawn a lot of current and that might be where the trouble started for both sides of solenoid to get hot especially if that wire is a negative one.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #18
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

To me it looks like the coil stud nut with the four connections came loose and allowed one ring terminal to pivot and contact the larger main stud.

The black goo is the internal coil guts (melted wire varnish) escaping as a high current passed through the coil.

It is open now an must be replaced.

That connection could be redone by bringing three of the wires to one ring.
That leaves just two rings on the stud, diode ring and new ring.

This would mechanically and electrically be better.
It should be tightened up well to prevent vibrations making it come loose.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sorry about the trouble you are having hawmarine, especially at the lake on a weekend, that really sucks. Afraid I can't help more with this.

Just curious though. Does anything look burnt at the motor? Wires, lugs, etc?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I believe the aforementioned wire rubbed through to the solenoid stud at the blue tie wrap. I also believe that wire is a negative wire and the resulting insulation rubbed through and resulted in a dead short. This caused the solenoid to burn up. If his luck changes a new solenoid and clearing the short may restore operation. The solenoid coil may be open from the contacts getting red hot and that is why it wont click.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO