lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
cartinforfun
Not Yet Wild

Default Slow going up hill and funky smell from under seat

Good afternoon everyone,

Let me first start out by saying this is my 1st post but, I've read several post and done several test before asking for help. This forum has been very informative.

This is our 2nd golf cart (2004 EZGO TXT) and this one seems to be lifted and has "bigger" tires. I bought to used from a guy that said the charger and batteries were dead. After getting it home I found out the batteries were toast but, the charger worked fine. (the batteries were too dead for the charger to come on) I replaced the batteries with new batteries from Sams (used a wire wheel to clean all the calbe ends as they were pretty nasty) and the cart runs perfect on flat ground, but going up hills it goes very slow, but never stops, just slow.
I tested the motor and controller (following the steps in the different post I've read) and they both tested good. I also tested each battery with a volt meter driving up the same hill and each battery never dropped below 5.9.
I kept smelling a faint burning smell under the seat, but couldn't tell if it was coming from the controller or F&R switch.

Here's where it gets crazy,
One day the golf cart would not move. I could hear the the solenoid click, but wouldn't move. After opening the seat I could smell the F&R switch. (in front of the controller) I tapped on the F&R switch and hit the gas and it was going again.

The thing that baffles me is this is a 2004 EZGO TXT and I'm not sure what year our other was but, I know it was an EZGO too and I know I replaced the F&R switch on the old cart and I thought I remember it looking different. This one has a metal rod that runs to a part with a plastic cap on it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
cartinforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Slow going up hill and funky smell from under seat

Welcome to the forum. You describe a Series drive system F&R. Make sure you get a heavy duty replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 2.jpg (109.3 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
cartinforfun
Not Yet Wild

Yes, ScottyB........ that is what I have. It seems obvious that could be causing the smell and the intermittent stop and go when I press the gas pedal, but could that be causing the golf cart going slow uphills? What is the best F&R at a decent price?

Thank you for the info
Old 12-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

All electric carts slow down going up hills. Series drives slow more than SepEx drives and AC drives. With any type drive system, the taller the tire height, the more it slows.

Any excessive resistance in the amp delivery system, will make the cart slow more on hills than a cart with good high current cables, properly installed cable ends, clean connections and good contacts in F/R switch and solenoid.

Excessive resistance causes heat and any cable/connection or contact getting more than about 10°F above air temperature needs to be repaired or replaced.

------------
As for: "What is the best F&R at a decent price?" Mark Twain said it best:

Quality is like buying oats: If you want nice, clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price.
However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper...

The heavy duty F/R switch from Carts Unlimited is the most heavy duty one available. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/f---r--switches.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
zingerbateman
Gone Wild

Club Car

And you can go check Scottyb’s website where he posted the picture from?
zingerbateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
cartinforfun
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys for the responses. I didn't realize he had posted a link, as I just read the what he typed. I guess that will be my starting point. Thank you again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO