lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Ponchjoe
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Thoughts on the YEWY Charger?

Hi guys,

I know everyone talks about the DPI charger but what about the YEWY? Pros and Cons please as they appear to be a lower cost alternative to the DPI charger. I did a search and found little information. Additionally what about this charger?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-36-Vol...5ZjALm&vxp=mtr

My cart is a 36v EZGO if that matters.
Also looking for one if anyone has one based on the responses here.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ponchjoe; 12-29-2017 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Added a question and link
Ponchjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Thoughts on the YEWY Charger?

Amperage is everything when it comes to wet cell charging.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
Ponchjoe
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Amperage is everything when it comes to wet cell charging.
ScottyB, I know you sell both the DPI and the Yewy, what’s your input on the Yewy?
Thanks
Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Sideways
Gone Wild

I am seriously considering the Yewy when I upgrade to 48volts.

Scottyb I do have a question regarding your response on the Electric Yamaha thread that the 48volt Yewy only floated for 30 minutes after a full charge cycle.
Will the 48volt Yewy automatically restart the charge cycle if needed or does it have to be unplugged then plugged back in?
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Ponchjoe
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Where did he go?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The DPI has been a great charger. It is an old school transformer generated charge with a few different algorithms for the user to select from. All of the popular batteries fit into one of these algorithms.
The downside is it is big and heavy. But if you are not going to move it around much that shouldn't be a problem.

The Yewey is a PWM charger. This charger does not have a transformer. I like the smaller lightweight charger. Here is some info from my website:

What is Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) charging and
how does a Pulse Width Modulation Charge Controller Work?

The PWM charger constantly monitors the battery pack's state of charge to determine how much current is needed at the current state of charge. The input current to the battery is regulated by changing the pulse width and length.
By constantly analyzing the battery information, the PWM charge controller can self-adjust and send just the right pulse to charge the battery. The PWM charger varies the length and speed of the pulses sent to the battery as needed. This is essentially a rapid on and off switch. When the battery is nearly discharged, the pulses may be long and continuous, and as it becomes charged, the pulses become shorter or trickled off.

In essence, this type of charge controller works by reducing the current from the power source according to the battery’s condition and recharging requirements, which is in contrast to on/off charge controllers which suddenly cut off power transfer to minimize battery overcharging. The PWM charge controller does this by checking the state of the battery to determine both how long (wide) the charge pulses should be as well as how often they should come.

By constantly analyzing the battery information, the PWM charge controller self-adjusts and sends the appropriate pulse to charge the battery. The PWM charger varies the length and speed of the pulses sent to the battery as needed. This is essentially a rapid on and off switch. When the battery is nearly discharged, the pulses may be long and continuous, and as it becomes charged, the pulses become shorter or trickled off.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO