lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can someone explain this leaf spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Pretty sure it is the impact. Either the footrest hit the shackles or the impact came under the footrest. They could have replaced the foot rest. If they had to repair the frame it was a pretty stout impact.

I bought a 79 Marathon from a salvage yard that had a bent front axle. Both front springs were curved down more than stock just out from where the spring pack separates from the main leaf. The main leaf was bent under a good 15 degrees more than new ones. Springs will bend and not spring back if they are bent from the end toward the center. They are "springy" only in the direction they are supposed to be. An end impact will bend them.
that makes sense
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The correct springs will show you where you need to be.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #13
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Both springs are bent fairly alike, would make an impact unlikely unless it was perfect.

Also note it is only one leaf, that's it. Also it has to be much longer then a stock leaf to make a bend like that.

I think what you got is somebodies brain child of an idea. If the ride is good, I'ld just go with it.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Both springs are bent fairly alike, would make an impact unlikely unless it was perfect.

Also note it is only one leaf, that's it. Also it has to be much longer then a stock leaf to make a bend like that.

I think what you got is somebodies brain child of an idea. If the ride is good, I'ld just go with it.
The frame has either been broken off, or cut off.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #15
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
The frame has either been broken off, or cut off.
When I first read this I shook my head, but when I looked at the last shackle picture something is simply just not right there.

My cart is 2,000 miles away so I got nothing to compare to.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

It looks to me like it was hit hard in the rear. The frame was broken on both sides. somebody rigged up something to hold the shackles then bent the leaf springs to meet them. The body is easily replaced. But, who knows what happened.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #17
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thinking the smart money would bet on your explanation.

That one aluminum piece looks like it was hit with a angle grinder or sawzall.

I couldn't figure out the bolted cross member. That looks pretty homemade.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 PM   #18
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your entire rear lift has rotated about 30 degrees counter clockwise. Your entire lift has been off set and it rotated the axle and bent Your leaf spring.

You need to purchase a new leaf spring, dismantle the lift/loosen it and rotate it back to the proper angle which is perpendicular to the level ground.

Your entire rear lift is wrecked. If you don’t mind that’s fine. But the suspension will not perform at all what is intended.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 AM   #19
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
Your entire rear lift has rotated about 30 degrees counter clockwise. Your entire lift has been off set and it rotated the axle and bent Your leaf spring.

You need to purchase a new leaf spring, dismantle the lift/loosen it and rotate it back to the proper angle which is perpendicular to the level ground.

Your entire rear lift is wrecked. If you don’t mind that’s fine. But the suspension will not perform at all what is intended.
My problem with getting a new leaf spring is that if the frame has been shortened, it may not fit. Otherwise whomever went to all the trouble to bend the springs probably would have already done that.

I have another DS frame, but just not sure I want to tackle moving all the parts over to the other frame/chassis as the cart seems to drive and run fine.
Not sure what I am going to do, I may keep it as is or make someone a heck of deal on the cart as a project and throw in a second chassis for parts, or just bite the bullet and swap frames/chassis.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #20
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
My problem with getting a new leaf spring is that if the frame has been shortened, it may not fit. Otherwise whomever went to all the trouble to bend the springs probably would have already done that.

I have another DS frame, but just not sure I want to tackle moving all the parts over to the other frame/chassis as the cart seems to drive and run fine.
Not sure what I am going to do, I may keep it as is or make someone a heck of deal on the cart as a project and throw in a second chassis for parts, or just bite the bullet and swap frames/chassis.
I bought a non-running Yamaha to fix up, only to find that the frame had just too much rust. I obtained another bare, rust-free frame, and rebuilt the cart. It was a fun learning project. Go for the swap.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car