lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
AubAlum0509
Getting Wild

Default I think I might have burned up my EZGO

I was rewiring an EZGO for an older lady to drive her kids around Disney World with. Anyways, I was trying to help, and put her on a Voltage charge state meter. I got it all set up, and was working perfect, reached around to grab my heat shrink gun, and knocked a plastic cover off the seat, which jolted some wires, and made the negative side of the voltage meter touch the positive side of voltage meter, where it connects to the ignition. it threw a small spark, no biggie right, well wrong. Now the dang cart wont work. I am talking about wont move at all, like there is no batteries connected. I removed and tested the voltage meter, and its fine. I know the battery wires are fine, and tyhe cart was wired correctly, as I have drove it around since replacing the factory wires with 4ga.

This sounds so simple, like I might have popped a fuse or something, but I cannot find a fuse, the diode appears to be fine across the solenoid. Did I burn up this old ladies motor controller? Is there a hidden fuse somewhere I am missing?

Please help, I feel like poop right now.
AubAlum0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I think I might have burned up my EZGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubAlum0509 View Post
I was rewiring an EZGO for an older lady to drive her kids around Disney World with. Anyways, I was trying to help, and put her on a Voltage charge state meter. I got it all set up, and was working perfect, reached around to grab my heat shrink gun, and knocked a plastic cover off the seat, which jolted some wires, and made the negative side of the voltage meter touch the positive side of voltage meter, where it connects to the ignition. it threw a small spark, no biggie right, well wrong. Now the dang cart wont work. I am talking about wont move at all, like there is no batteries connected. I removed and tested the voltage meter, and its fine. I know the battery wires are fine, and tyhe cart was wired correctly, as I have drove it around since replacing the factory wires with 4ga.

This sounds so simple, like I might have popped a fuse or something, but I cannot find a fuse, the diode appears to be fine across the solenoid. Did I burn up this old ladies motor controller? Is there a hidden fuse somewhere I am missing?

Please help, I feel like poop right now.
Probably not the controller. If you give the information of the cart type, others might chime in with more suggestions. From what I gather, with the TXT type of carts, power for the keyswitch goes through a reed switch at the charger port, unless it has been bypassed, then a microswitch in the ITS throttle box. Then on a series cart, it goes through microswitches on the F/N/R switch assembly. Microswitch contacts pop pretty quick when keyswitch power going through them gets shorted to battery negative. The reed switch is an interlock to keep the cart from operating when the charger is plugged in. It can be bypassed, later year carts don't even have them from the factory. Hopefully someone will come along and post a wiring diagram for you once you identify the year and drive type (Series or Sepex).
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
AubAlum0509
Getting Wild

I believe its an 01 TXT. Not sure, where can I find serial #..

I checked under the hood, passenger side, and I can find where the serial plate was once riveted on, but it is not there. anymore,. I crawled up and inspected otehr areas, but cannot find anything. Not sure if it is a series of sepex motor. How could I find that out?

Where is the Reed valves you speak of?
Old 03-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
SHRINER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the reed switch is in the port you plug your charger into
SHRINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
SHRINER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

forgot the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
SHRINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

There is a wire loom coming from the charger port to the passenger side that has a white, black and red wire. There should be a quick disconnect on the red. Pull that apart and put your volt meter negative lead on pack negative and your positive lead on the red wire coming from the charger. It should have pack voltage. If not and the wire hasn’t been bypassed your reed switch bit the dust. If so just bypass it and take the other red wire from the disconnect and connect it to pack positive with a fuse.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:20 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, notice the wire from the Reed switch is White. Vehicles not equipped with a Reed switch have a red wire instead.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:39 AM   #8
AubAlum0509
Getting Wild

Thank you this was very easy fix I was very worried about the controller but it was the simple Reed switch.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Excellent !! It’s a small world after all !!
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Tell her to pass the charger cable through the steering wheel, as a reminder to unplug the charger before taking off. That's all the reed switch did.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO