lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
dfischbach
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Navitas or Curtis Controller Upgrade for 2010 EZGO RXV

I have a 2010 EZGO RXV with the Danaher controller that needs to be replaced. I have been doing a ton of reading on this forum and now need some advice. I already purchased a new curtis controller upgrade kit for the cart, however it arrived damaged and now I am reconsidering if this is the best option. The Curtis controller is going to require me to do some splicing into the factory wiring which I am not that excited about. The Navatis controller seems to have more options and sounds like it is truly a "plug and play" upgrade with no splicing required. Any advise from those that have experience with either controller and doing the upgrade from a danaher controller would be greatly appreciated. I am really on the fence at this point with which one to go with.
dfischbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Navitas or Curtis Controller Upgrade for 2010 EZGO RXV

I've done the conversion and it's just not that hard. Yes I worried for a week if I was getting over my head just like you. Just get the right wires and follow the instructions and you'll be alright.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Navitas or Curtis Controller Upgrade for 2010 EZGO RXV

I can't help with Navitas, but I have done the Danaher to Curtis conversion .

The big issue is the tap into the motor brake circuit so the new controller can monitor the status of the Motor Brake. The older wiring harnesses had a grey wire running from the motor brake to the brake pedal. In 2010, and apparently going forward - it’s a white wire. The problem is there will be 2 white wires in the harness.

One of the wires goes from the back of the cart to the front of the cart. The other white wire runs from the back of the cart to the connector that plugs into the controller. THIS WIRE IS THE WRONG WIRE TO TAP INTO. You need to connect into the wire that runs from the motor brake ( back of the cart ) to the pedal ( front of the cart ).

Also the grey wire that went to a small block on the Danaher controller frame to the resistor IS NOT USED. Just cover the terminal with tape.

Finally the connection to the Orange wire goes to the back. Of the cart ( Motor speed sensor ). Tape off the portion of the wire that goes to the front of the cart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfischbach View Post
I have a 2010 EZGO RXV with the Danaher controller that needs to be replaced. I have been doing a ton of reading on this forum and now need some advice. I already purchased a new curtis controller upgrade kit for the cart, however it arrived damaged and now I am reconsidering if this is the best option. The Curtis controller is going to require me to do some splicing into the factory wiring which I am not that excited about. The Navatis controller seems to have more options and sounds like it is truly a "plug and play" upgrade with no splicing required. Any advise from those that have experience with either controller and doing the upgrade from a danaher controller would be greatly appreciated. I am really on the fence at this point with which one to go with.
I'm sorry to inform you that the Navitas RXV controller is not yet capable of the performance level that the stock 235 Amp Curtis controller is capable of when properly reprogrammed.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
dfischbach
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I'm sorry to inform you that the Navitas RXV controller is not yet capable of the performance level that the stock 235 Amp Curtis controller is capable of when properly reprogrammed.
bob, what programming would I need to have done to the curtis controller to get the maximum performance? I am not a tech or have the knowledge or equipment to reprogram a controller.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfischbach View Post
bob, what programming would I need to have done to the curtis controller to get the maximum performance? I am not a tech or have the knowledge or equipment to reprogram a controller.
It takes the highest level programmer to do that sort of programming. We essentially go in there and return the controller to 100% performance level. E-Z-GO has had Curtis turn down the performance of the RXV controllers to a fraction of its rating. When finished, a handset can be used to turn down the performance further. I set them at about 10% of the Accel capabilities because even 50% will do wheelies and can break something. All of the changes I make are still within the rating of the controller, yet it certainly does not seem like it. LOL

If you want this done to your controller, once you get your issue figured out, you box it up and mail it to me. I'll reprogram it and set the tunables to your liking, and mail it back. You pay postage both ways. It's that simple.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
dfischbach
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It takes the highest level programmer to do that sort of programming. We essentially go in there and return the controller to 100% performance level. E-Z-GO has had Curtis turn down the performance of the RXV controllers to a fraction of its rating. When finished, a handset can be used to turn down the performance further. I set them at about 10% of the Accel capabilities because even 50% will do wheelies and can break something. All of the changes I make are still within the rating of the controller, yet it certainly does not seem like it. LOL

If you want this done to your controller, once you get your issue figured out, you box it up and mail it to me. I'll reprogram it and set the tunables to your liking, and mail it back. You pay postage both ways. It's that simple.

Sounds good. Thanks again for all the help, comments, and suggestions. I am going to be installing that curtis controller this weekend and hoping that fixes my problem. If it does, I will definitely be reaching out to you for that advance programming.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
Hokiehunter
Not Yet Wild

I'm curious how you determined your controller needed to be replaced? I have an RXV that will not do anything right now with 4 new batteries in it and think mine is shot as well. Thanks

Brian

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hokiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What year and what controller do you have Danaher or Curtis for starters. You should probably start a new thread also.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Fred H
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am new to the forum and a "new" owner of a 2008 RXV. I have the Danaher controller that seems to be performing reasonably.
I am about to add a rear seat kit...and will be carrying passengers children and grandchildren) routinely around the neighborhood. I would also like to get a little more speed (no more than 30 mph) for traveling the local streets.

I saw Bobs posts about the untapped attributes of the stock Curtis controller and think this might be a nice upgrade for my cart. Can anyone confirm the Curtis part number I should buy before reaching out to Bob for reprogramming?
Fred H is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO