lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #11
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: I got a new handheld programmer--questions for bob boyce

Yeah that is precisely why i am not tinkering with every single option and even where i do only a few points either way, not maximum this or bypass that.

Either way i think i will stay on the 20 mph max for the most part, but i got stock, 20 mph as well as the one i got to 24 all backed up on internal.

I do prefer this new handheld over the 1311s in more ways than one though, the diagnostics and monitor tabs are far more detailed, and this handheld never has issues interfacing like my 1311s did. My 1311s tended to say connection failed or had errors during use, and tended to have me chasing my tail with faults that had little to do with the actual problem, especially on Curtis RXVs, which was why i preferred the Danahar and its handheld far more at the time.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Yeah that is precisely why i am not tinkering with every single option and even where i do only a few points either way, not maximum this or bypass that.

Either way i think i will stay on the 20 mph max for the most part, but i got stock, 20 mph as well as the one i got to 24 all backed up on internal.

I do prefer this new handheld over the 1311s in more ways than one though, the diagnostics and monitor tabs are far more detailed, and this handheld never has issues interfacing like my 1311s did. My 1311s tended to say connection failed or had errors during use, and tended to have me chasing my tail with faults that had little to do with the actual problem, especially on Curtis RXVs, which was why i preferred the Danahar and its handheld far more at the time.
Yuppirs! I like that handset the best as well.

I just wish I had one that was Development level.

Maybe I'll work at it if I get bored.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #13
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I thought Development level was laptop-only?

From the 1313 owners manual, it only has 4 access levels, User, Service, Dealer, and OEM.

I have a small Windows 10 laptop, What would be required for the PC software to run? my only holdup is no USB cable that ends in a 4-pin molex.

I got the old, outdated FairPlay cable, that IS USB, ends in a 4 pin molex, but not sure the pinouts are identical, and no idea what the black cube is connected between the ends.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
I thought Development level was laptop-only?

From the 1313 owners manual, it only has 4 access levels, User, Service, Dealer, and OEM.

I have a small Windows 10 laptop, What would be required for the PC software to run? my only holdup is no USB cable that ends in a 4-pin molex.

I got the old, outdated FairPlay cable, that IS USB, ends in a 4 pin molex, but not sure the pinouts are identical, and no idea what the black cube is connected between the ends.
Wiindows 10 is not a good OS. It is very public, a part of the Microsoft Cloud. Microsoft gave away that OS in order to build a global cloud that allows them to use a portion of everyones computer that runs it. And the customer has no control over what Microsoft is doing with their computer. You do not want what you are doing or storing on your own computer becoming part of the cloud. The software reports in, everything.

The laptop I use never sees an internet connection. I removed the drivers to disable communications with the outside world. I build my own interface cables, that plugs into a USP port on the laptop, and the programming port for the controller. No box inline with the cable. The cables I use have heat shrink over the end of the cable to the back of the plug.

Oh, and I have an interface to my 1314 software that allows me to select the access level that I want it to be before I start it up. That's how I was able to change access levels so quickly for the screenshots earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Program Cable 2.jpg (112.0 KB, 0 views)
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I still have my XP laptop with a serial port. The keyboard and screen are dead, but external keyboard, monitor, and a long serial cable works just fine. I have a newer XP laptop with a USB to Serial cable. Dead battery, so not portable. Use them on my telescope with Starry Nights and USB webcam. I use them on my VFD about as infrequently as my buggy.

Windows 7 didn't like my USB to Serial cable. Haven't tried it on 10. Haven't had a need.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I can tend to be very habitual and old fashioned. I was using Windows 95 until the beginning of this year as a work machine, using MS Works 4.x for documents and Netscape to browse this forum.

Then the HDD died taking my work with it. All inventories, PDFs of manuals, techinical info GONE.

I do not store sensitive info on the Win10 laptop, as far as identity stuff or banking info etc. I got software to monitor privacy (NEVER trust Windows Defender!). I tried to use Vista but none of the browsers seem capable of pulling in SSL secured websites, as the updates have been cut off for Vista, and soon will be for 7 as well.

The one benefit i love is how Office on the new machine can back up everything automatically online where i can access it via my smartphone, other PCs, etc. So if the laptop dies, my stuff is not lost.

Sad thing though as i quite miss Packard Bell Navigator as an interface. I was probably the only guy who actually liked MS Bob as well.

We still have an old Windows XP machine around, a Pentium 4 Dell but the software is all sorts of corrupt, only displays 16 color 640x480 resolution no matter what. It was alternating between that and normal high color then just reverted permenantly to 16 colors. Use it only to interface old Fairplays, we still see some from time to time.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm down to just one "box" PC, from back when I built all three we had in any given time. Back when networking was "fun". The oldest version of Windows I still have is WFW 3.11. Oldest DOS is 3.0 (I think). I still have a dual 5-1/2, 3-1/4 floppy drive. Autoexec.bat, Config.sys. DIP switches and plugs on cards, MoBos and HDs, I don't miss those.

You were hot sh!t if you had a math co-processor! No ZIF sockets = bent plugs. No fans on the processors, and not even heat sinks at first. I remember peltier junctions between the chip and heat sink.

XP was the first OS that would run all of my peripherals at once. Up 'til then, I had to disable one thing to use another. I forget which one conflicted with my SCSI card, but modem, sound, graphics, network, HD card, Fire Wire.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #18
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh I go all the way back to CP/M!

My first experience with gaming was in the school computer lab back in 2nd grade. Edutainment software, Oregon Trail, Spell-a-vator, Jenny's Journeys, Number Munchers. ah, the memories.

RAM was sold in tubes. tiny little chips you were lucky to get them all installed without bending a pin.

I never liked XP much. at all. I was partial to Windows 95 and 98SE, and later Win2K Pro. XP looked like Fisher Price OS. Other than that cool tune that played upon install (Title.wma) XP was just service pack hell and messenger popup hell as well. Don't get me started on Bonzi Buddy

Vista I had a short life with. rental laptop, extremely slow, had this wifi bug (unidentified network local access only--required a reinstall of the wifi driver) but at least looked modernish. Windows 7 was even more modern looking.

The work machine was a freebie someone in the campground next to the place (he's an IT and has tons of legacy stuff) and it was a Packard Bell 822CDT. basically a Pentium I with MPC rating. Say what you will about the company Packard Bell, their Navigator interface was something I grew used to during the Windows 95 days. I really miss it. One day I will get a virtual machine and find a master disk image and re create it.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I used CP/M in college. I had 8086 and 8088 machines at home, but by then they used DOS.

I got this in High School. It's one board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg memory01.jpg (113.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg memory02.jpg (126.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg memory03.jpg (112.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image-20.JPG (410.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #20
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

What I really do miss are the old sounds of a hard disk of that era spinning up. You could almost hear the future! Seagate ST-225 sounded so high tech in the 80s

My first IBM was a Personal Computer XT. 20MB Hard drive, monochrome monitor, later updated to VGA for a good price of $600 including the monitor.

In 2013 I had a Galaxy SIII smartphone, and visited a friend (where the deer in my avatar came from) who had a pet deer who thought the SIII was something to eat. I guess he drooled into it since it did a great impression of a Hercules monochrome color scheme before the display went dead.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO